Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PSP X2 - Don't Install Update

To all those who use PSP X2, you will see an update available message when you open the program.

DON'T install it, it does not work. Corel has a patch for a missing or out of date DLL but that does not work either.

When you install the update, you will loose your workspace, and all toolbar icons, and functions.

Attempting to load your workspace (assuming you had it saved) results in a program crash.

I am waiting for a response from Corel, but cannot phone because their support is only monday to friday

12-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi, Thanks for the heads up on this issue....

I have installed the latest update for PSP X2 just today and didn't see your lost toolbar, etc. issues....however, the program would load to the desktop and then show me the "busy" icon for a very long time until I got impatient and killed the program. I'm thinking this may be because I tried to put several thousands of photos into the Organizer module and it wants to rescan all these photos on start up. Probably a setting out of place.

I am uninstalling the program and reinstalling to see if I can eliminate my start up problem, and I will again load the update to see if I can duplicate your issues. I will report back if I see your same symptoms.

My successful update was on Windows Vista Home Premium, fully patched.
12-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks lowell, I have v12.01 and haven't seen any update but I'll be sure to wait to see what happens. I'm waiting for k100 super support myself
12-09-2007, 12:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thank you for the warning. I am using version 12.01 and wasn't aware of an update. I appreciate the warning!

12-09-2007, 06:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
As a follow up, i was able to reinstall the origonal version, and get back working, with one exception. It lost all the thumbnails for my photos, and it has to rebuild this. All 40,000+ of them,)
12-09-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Super uninstall program available

Hi, Lowell:

FYI, I too was successful in doing my uninstall and reinstall and the patch worked fine. I'm not sure what troubles you had the first time around.

For the record, Corel has a special uninstall program on it's website that will not only remove the program itself, but also clean up hidden system files, organizer files and registry changes. It does not remove your saved images, however. It sort of a SUPER uninstall. I needed it because I goofed up on the Organizer program and it would try to scan about 5000 images over the network every time I started the program. The bad configuration was not cleaned up by a normal reinstall, so I really needed the special uninstall program...

You can find this special program here:

ftp://ftp.corel.com/pubs/Installer

the program is called MSICleanup.exe It removes EVERYTHING so that an old, goofed up program configuration can be removed.

While I recommend you take a look at Corel's Knowledge Bank for further info, the program is run by double clicking, selecting PSP X2 from the drop down box and selecting the "zap" radio button. The program will do the rest. Then simply reinstall.

best,

germar
12-09-2007, 03:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Hi, Lowell:

FYI, I too was successful in doing my uninstall and reinstall and the patch worked fine. I'm not sure what troubles you had the first time around.

For the record, Corel has a special uninstall program on it's website that will not only remove the program itself, but also clean up hidden system files, organizer files and registry changes. It does not remove your saved images, however. It sort of a SUPER uninstall. I needed it because I goofed up on the Organizer program and it would try to scan about 5000 images over the network every time I started the program. The bad configuration was not cleaned up by a normal reinstall, so I really needed the special uninstall program...

You can find this special program here:

ftp://ftp.corel.com/pubs/Installer

the program is called MSICleanup.exe It removes EVERYTHING so that an old, goofed up program configuration can be removed.

While I recommend you take a look at Corel's Knowledge Bank for further info, the program is run by double clicking, selecting PSP X2 from the drop down box and selecting the "zap" radio button. The program will do the rest. Then simply reinstall.

best,

germar
Thanks, as I said, reinstalling the origonal versiopn has fixed the problem. No lost images, just the thumbnails.

I am not really sure what happened. When I opened PSP X2 last night, I had a big balloon icon come up in the bottom right "updates for this program" so I clicked on it and it took me to the corel site to update. When I ran it, it paused because PSP X2 was open, so I closed it and hit retry. the update then completed. Upon running, everything went crazy, so I wnet to the corel site and there was a patch for a missing DLL, by adding that, the program ran, but could not load work spaces without giving a regestry error.

running the origonal detected the regestry errors and returned the program to the origonal build state.

Now when I check for updates it finds none so I don't know what exactly it tried to install.

The good news is I am back up and running, but am not clear as to what corel downloaded to my computer.
12-09-2007, 05:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have had no problems with the software since downloading the update last week, I think. I was having issues with PSP X2 not starting properly before the update. When the program would open, it would spend about seven minutes "busy" trying to load the organizer. Since the update, I haven't had that problem at all. BTW - Vista with Intel dual core 2.8gh, 1gb RAM.

12-15-2007, 01:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I tried to do a batch process of about 27 photos and a generic Smart photo fix script. While processing the first one, PSP X2 had an error and closed on me.
12-15-2007, 08:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Vista wants more memory!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote
BTW - Vista with Intel dual core 2.8gh, 1gb RAM.
The slow opening may be due to running on 1gb of ram.... I have pretty much the same setup you have, and *everything* ran terribly slow until I bought new memory in the form of 2x1gig sticks for 2 gigs ram. I actually like Vista now, and PSP runs much, much faster.

New memory is like 70 bucks for 2 gigs at the local computer shop.... it's a worthy investment.

regards,

germar