Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-08-2011, 01:21 AM   #1
Forum Member

Can someone edit a photo for me?

I took a photo of my nephew and his girlfriend. My workhorse HP laptop is gone now. The GPU burned itself. Now I have one or two RAW files that need to be processed, and edited. Maybe I'm asking for a bit too much, but can someone do it for me?

If so, how and where can I upload the original RAW files?

Regards, Shadman A. J.

10-08-2011, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'll do it for you. Upload file to the link and let me know and i can download them. Use the free trial offer, and if they only let you send one file before you have to pay,
use another service. These people are not the only ones out there that offer big file sending

https://www.yousendit.com/info-send-large-files-and-folders-securely?s=21201...|b|14118823544
10-08-2011, 06:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

PS

You'll need my email address , so if you decide to go ahead, i'll PM you
10-08-2011, 06:20 AM   #4
Forum Member

If I undestand it well, you still have access to a computer with internet, but it is just not your computer with the software needed. I still see few ways how you should be able to help yourself:
  • Use a free application which can do the task, for example the raw conversion and most editing can be done in RawTherapee. I'm sure you will be impressed how capable software it is - and in case you do not have possibility to install software on the said computer, it should be able to run from a thumb drive as portable application (just unpack it and run). If there is need for subsequent advanced local retouching/painting, there is plenty possibilities. One of them is GIMP which also exists as portable application.
  • Another possibility is to use online services, like Free online image converter for the raw conversion and then pixlr.com editor for the editing/retouching part.
Both ways should work even in an internet café. Of course there a is more free apps/services of the kind I mentioned, but I tested these personally, and in case of the software I use these two apps for all my photo editing and do not need anything else.

10-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #5

You might look at the Free file-sharing site, Minus - 10GB free, filesizes up to 2GB, extra space 1GB per new user introduced...

Friends and I have looked carefully at this site - used it for a few weeks - exchanging pix and camera vids, so on... It "seems" to be okay - at least with Linux from behind Shorewall.

Windows users might give it a try - carefully. Check your Firewall first, do suggest.

It has both Public and Private functions, Password, and Paste Link.

1. Get 10 GB of Free Space
2. Unlimited Downloads & Transfer
3. Share Large Files up to 2 GB each

Ref: - https://minus.com/

Regards, Dave.
10-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should be able to use Dropbox and that program is free.
10-09-2011, 01:05 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
I'll do it for you. Upload file to the link and let me know and i can download them. Use the free trial offer, and if they only let you send one file before you have to pay,
use another service. These people are not the only ones out there that offer big file sending

https://www.yousendit.com/info-send-large-files-and-folders-securely?s=21201...|b|14118823544
Repped and PM'd you, and thanks.

Regards,
Shadman A. J.

10-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Shadman - i have linked to the photo on my hosting site which you can right click and download. You still have the raw file at home if you'd like someone else to have a go

- Tests - Hound dawg photography - Photo Sharing at WinSoftMagic

will also send you the photo by email

Pete
10-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

There's also a tighter crop version - slightly different

10-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
Shadman - i have linked to the photo on my hosting site which you can right click and download. You still have the raw file at home if you'd like someone else to have a go

Hard to tell from the JPEG, but it seems a bit 'flat' and could do with more 'punch'. Getting the colour balance right will also be fun - the light was quite yellow and trying to get rid of that would do odd things to the skin colour - it is much easier with pink Anglo-Saxons . Worth playing with though, it is a nice shot.
10-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Light must've been pretty dim to require ISO 3200 at f/2.8 and 1/15 sec. Is the RAW posted somewhere in case somebody else wanted to take a crack at it?
10-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The shot itself wasnt too hot. OOF and noisey, and blown
10-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

When I saw the final JPEG and the EXIF info, I figured it was kind of a worse case scenario. And even if focus was good, the shot would still stand a good chance of being soft or blurred since 1/15 sec is slow for shooting people.
10-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Actually I think the original raw file is quite alright. With a little PP it can look pretty good for 4x6". I am sure it can be much improved depends on one's PP skill, and how far he/she wants to go.
10-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #15

I think that considering the settings at the time of the shot the result is pretty good and would certainly be print wortyh at 4x6. Good save.