Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Exposure help

Hey all,

Hope you can help me out. I just received my AlienBee 800 with the 22" beauty dish. A friend of mine offered to let me photographer her to test out the light.

I am a little disappointed in my quality of my exposure. I used a Sekonic L-358 light meter, with the settings of 60 sec - f/8.0 and ISO 100 and in RAW. When viewing on my display on my camera all looked really good but when I imported into Lightroom the exposure looked awful. It looks so "muddy", I understand I might have to do some adjustments but didn't think it would be this much.

Attached is a sample, no adjustments made to photo.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Craig

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 08-15-2017 at 04:59 AM. Reason: remove swearing
10-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is your question about how to process this digitally? if not, then it probably belongs elsewhere, but I'm not sure - are you wondering about how to use the meter, or the lighting unit, or what? Also, on my (calibrated) monitor, the model's skin tones look fairly natural as is. Quite a bit lighter than my own, as a semi-olive-skinned person of Italian and French-Canadian descent.
10-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for responding Mark.

I think I just need to work a little more on the files in Photoshop, I also noticed tilting my monitor I get better colors, doesn't look so washed out.

I guess I was just needing someone with a calibrated monitor to take a look at the RAW file and let me know what they thought of the exposure.

Thanks for your time.

Craig
10-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Depends upon what you are trying to convey. On my monitor (also calibrated) the colors look very good and the flesh tones are great, but the exposure is a little dark (easily adjusted in PP). You will get an entirely different look with a less neutral background as well. I suggest you calibrate your monitor and clean your sensor (see spots).
There does, however, seem to be a slight softness to the shot, which I would think is the camera settings, lens or technique--but not lighting or exposure. Portrait mode on many cameras will give you this soft, wrinkle-smoothing effect.

10-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looking at the histogram it is about a stop and a bit under-exposed and possibly with a very slight magenta cast, but that could be that she is being suffocated by that scarf Shoot some grey card maybe ?

Last edited by kh1234567890; 05-30-2016 at 02:34 AM.
10-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply's,

Ron Kruger, whats the best way to clean the sensor? My focus might have been off a little, I was using my Pentax-M 50mm F1.7.

kh1234567890, that's what was confusing me. I set the camera to what the light meter read. So I guess I need to use the EV compensation.