Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2007, 07:15 AM   #1

Unannounced K10D software update

I don't remember seeing a recent Pentax software update announced anywhere. However I went to PENTAX Support&Service and found that Pentax announced upgrades on November 28, 2007 to PENTAX PHOTO Browser3 to Version3.12 and PENTAX PHOTO Laboratory3 to Version 3.12 -- Windows versions only.

Has anybody tried these and, if so, what's upgraded?

12-11-2007, 07:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wheelgate Quote
what's upgraded?
That info is listed in the update history on the site you referenced.
12-11-2007, 08:02 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
That info is listed in the update history on the site you referenced.
I downloaded this update and installed it. It won't run and told me the directory is corrupt. So far, I can't fix the problem, even with an uninstall. It won't let me rer-install.

I'm still fooling with it, and I'll report the problem to Pentax when I get a chance.

Sorry, I hope nobody else has this problem. OR -- if you do and fix it, please let me know how.
12-11-2007, 08:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thought for one second it was K10 firmware update

12-11-2007, 08:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Thought for one second it was K10 firmware update
Me too! I am waiting for 2.0 where it just takes better pictures New "P" setting will include:

1. Pin prick to finger from shutter button when metering is wrong
2. Mild electrical shock if exposure is incorrect
3. Voice insults if SD card is not in place
4. Voice confirmation on all settings with half press of shutter (I could really use this!! "Dave ... did you really mean to use ISO 800 in the bright daylight ..." in a classic HAL 9000 voice
12-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Me too! I am waiting for 2.0 where it just takes better pictures New "P" setting will include:
4. Voice confirmation on all settings with half press of shutter (I could really use this!! "Dave ... did you really mean to use ISO 800 in the bright daylight ..." in a classic HAL 9000 voice
I already have a voice in my head that does that for me, but mine sounds more like Rodney Dangerfield insulting me.
12-11-2007, 01:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I already have a voice in my head that does that for me, but mine sounds more like Rodney Dangerfield insulting me.
Can't get no respect eh - I almost opted for the Don Rickles version

12-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hey Dave, how about the bucket of cold water when you get everything wrong!!
12-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #9

Original Poster
Finally fixed the Pentax software update

After quite a bit of deleting odd Pentax files, I finally got where I could re-install the original Pentax 3.0 photo processing software. Then, I installed the update to 3.12. After all that, it's still a pretty poor excuse for photo processing software. My old Photoshop Elements 2 does more and is easier to use, never mind Lightzone 3.2 which I've been using lately and which is leagues better.
12-11-2007, 05:36 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I don't even know why Pentax bothers including software. They don't include a memory card so it's not like they are making any promise about being a complete, ready to make photos, package right out of the box. Or at least include a free copy of an inexpensive, but better, app.
12-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
After quite a bit of deleting odd Pentax files, I finally got where I could re-install the original Pentax 3.0 photo processing software. Then, I installed the update to 3.12. After all that, it's still a pretty poor excuse for photo processing software. My old Photoshop Elements 2 does more and is easier to use, never mind Lightzone 3.2 which I've been using lately and which is leagues better.

I recently installed 3.12 in the hopes (and recommendation) that it will clear up occasional hang-ups in Browser with larger numbers (several hundred) of files. I have no upgrade issues other than having to customize the window size and position to my taste, etc.

For me, PPL does everything I need (which is not much) except spot dust, though no doubt there are more user-friendly programs that I'm not spending one dime on :-)

I have Elements 2.0 that I got with my scanner, and use it when scanning family history stuff. I also have PS 7 which I collected somewhere, and only use that to join 2 or more images into 1, such as for side-by-side test shots.
12-18-2007, 06:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wheelgate Quote
Agreement at this end.

Only reason i installed the software was to be able to look at the PEFs until ACR was updated.

Now with LR 1.32...........

Dave