Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
saving images on dvd

I'm sure this will have been covered before but I need to save images to cd/dvd so they are viewable on a screen but as small as possible to save space on the disk and to hopefully make printing bigger than 4x6 a problem.

Please advise what figures I need to change and to what values on the two attached images.
thank you

Last edited by adwb; 03-31-2012 at 07:01 AM.
10-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Try sizing to 640x480 and then save them with JPG compression set to lower quality. You might do a little sharpening after the resize to give them some pop back.
If you get the file size small enough any printing over 4x6 will show all the artifacts in the file from the jpg compression. The prints will look horrid.
10-27-2011, 03:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you , thats interesting, I thought that I needed to reduce the widest size to about 800 pixels and reduce the resolution to 72 or there abouts. does that just relate to file size for storage and viewing?

The jpeg saving screen shot is that what affects the printing size?
10-27-2011, 05:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

You can set your largest pic dimension to 800 and the other dimension should adjust automatically. 72dpi vs. 300dpi doesn't make a whole lot of difference. The total pixel count determines how large you can print without problems. I just threw the 640x480 numbers out there as an example, if you set your large dimension to 640, the smaller will adjust by itself.

I've posted at Pbase for a long time and have increasingly worked on dropping my file size to where they can't be printed large. Whenever I'm done with all Post, I'll do a resize for Web Display, do a quick sharpen, and save as a low quality Jpg. I adjust my Jpg compression lever to get a file size of less than 100Kb, the lower the better. They look good on screen and won't print large without artifacts killing the print quality.

An example, a friend gave me a camera phone shot and wanted me to print large, 11x17. The file was 300Kb in size and using Qimage I got the print out. Lack of detail, noise, and artifacts were everywhere. He liked it, but then again he uses a camera phone If the file had been below 100Kb it would have never worked.

Good Luck

10-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

72 versus 300 dpi makes *zero* difference if the images is really 800 pixels wide. 800 pixels is 800 pixels, period. If you view it 4x6", that is 800/6 = 133dpi, regardless of what some number in a dialog says.