Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

CS4 HDR problems

I wanted to try HDR on a long shutter speed photo of a waterfall. I didn't bracket when I took it, and given the nature of the shot bracketing could give problems - if I vary the shutter speed then the texture of the water will vary, if I vary the aperture what is in focus will change.

I made three 16-bit PSDs from the one PEF, one with the sunlight background looking correct, another for the water and a third for the dark rocks in the foreground. Ran the merge on the three PSDs.

First problem thing was that the result was far, far too pale even if i dragged the triangle under the histogram all the way to the right.

Second problem was that whilst I saved it as a PBM when I reopen it the sliders I had at one point for the tonemapping etc. have vanished, and I have no idea how to get them back.

Now the second problem I will probably manage to solve in time but the first leaves me stumped.

This is Photoshop CS4, on Windows 7x64, and I've got the latest version patch - 11.0.2.

11-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After you make the HDR and tone map it, you usually go back into Photoshop and work on it there. The HDR processing is the first step.

I usually run Curves and Levels at a minimum to get things looking good.
11-07-2011, 11:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wasn't getting as far as being able to try to tone map - the merged image was almost completely blown.