Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2007, 05:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

Lightzone for linux

There have been rumours lateley about Lightcrafts coming out with a linux version of lightzone. I emailed them yesterday, and got this reply:

We will be making an official announcement soon. The cat's out of the proverbial bag.

Sincerely,

The Light Crafts Support Team

I am very excited.

12-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #2

I didn't realize that Lightzone for Linux is a new thing, because their download page has a Linux selection, as well as the ones for the PC and Mac OSs.
12-15-2007, 06:07 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Apparently they have linux listed on the signup page as a teaser. If you pick it, you still only get windows and mac as choices for download.

They had a free version for linux for a while, but it disappeared a few months ago. I uninstalled it from my computer when it looked like they were abandoning linux and switched to bibble. I will definitely switch back when they come out with a new version(the $150-$250 price tag is going to hurt though.)
12-15-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, lots of chatter on the LZ for Linux mailing list.... the word is a version 3.0 for Linux is ready for release, the biggest hang up is they want to come up with some sort of cost model and they're only working (or worked) it out now. It should have about the same feature set as the current 3x release for Windows. I have not heard that 150-250 pricetag however... I think they're going to want to place it to compete with Bibble Pro, which is 129 USD, so you may expect it in that area. However that's all just guesses at this point.

Me, I got hooked on 2.4 of LZ for Linux and eventually bought a copy for Windows. The program is really worth the asking price!

regards,

gerry

12-16-2007, 07:02 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Yes, lots of chatter on the LZ for Linux mailing list....
I have never been able to find this list. All links have gone to a dead end. Can you point me to it?

EDIT: Never mind, I found it on the first try this time.

Last edited by Dave Lee; 12-16-2007 at 07:14 AM.
12-19-2007, 07:25 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Lightzone Beta for linux is available at Introduction to LightZone from Light Crafts for those interested.
12-19-2007, 10:10 AM   #7

Is this something like Lightroom from Adobe ? or are just the names similar ?

It would be nice to have Lightroom or a lightroom-like program for Linux.

12-19-2007, 11:06 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I don't know much about lightroom, but lightzone is a raw converter/image editing program. The new beta seems a little unstable so far, but not bad for a first beta.
12-31-2007, 04:57 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I just use GIMP + UFRaw. It's convenient enough in Gentoo.
02-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
The latest version of LightZone for Linux is still a beta, and its good for around 90 days. I used 2.4 a while back, its kind of cool. It has a Zone System type of setup where you process by pulling zones up and down to adjust contrast and exposure. It works on RAW as well as jpeg, and its non-destructive to your original images. The latest seems to be more stable than the first beta.

j.