Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
I strongly believe you get what you pay for; the extra $100 is getting you a truly professional RAW processing app that seems set on being the gold standard long into the future.
For the record, Aperture 3 is now $79. That's what Adobe charges for PS Elements without the organizer. Lightroom is still $299, the student edition is $89.

11-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #17
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My point about the whole Photobooks thing is that a person should buy A3 for that reason if that's what they're really into, because you're right - LR3 is really awkward when it comes to this. Just like how a fellow Pentaxian friend of my loves the flexibility of making prints in LR3 that A3 doesn't offer, so that's tipped the scale for him in favor of choosing LR3 over A3. So the point being, features like these are the real deal-breakers when choosing between the two, but for overall features and flexibility and options I'd choose LR3 unless a person gets into wanting to make Photobooks or to geotag their photos.
11-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Agree. Points of difference have more or less importance depending on the person.... hmmm.... sounds a lot like cameras and lens too
11-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I see that enoxatnep had occasional issues with A3 crashing, I had the same problem when using 4GB of memory however since adding another 4GB I've not had another crash. That aside I'm convinced that often program crashes have as much to do with individual computer set-ups as they do with the actual programs though.

11-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #20
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I see that enoxatnep had occasional issues with A3 crashing, I had the same problem when using 4GB of memory however since adding another 4GB I've not had another crash. That aside I'm convinced that often program crashes have as much to do with individual computer set-ups as they do with the actual programs though.
The A3 freeze-ups/crashes were only one of several reasons why I eventually chose LR3, but they were among the more important.
11-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I agree with most of what you've said except for the bit about "dumbing" down of Aperture, whoever said that is completely misinformed, it's FUD. The features are getting more and more powerful with every release not less.
You do know what they did with Final Cut Pro, right? It's not a wholly misplaced concern.
11-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #22
Pentaxian

This probably doesn't mean much to most but if you are still shooting film and scan to a TIFF-DNG file, Lightroom will edit the resulting DNG from VueScan. Aperture will not (last I check, anyway). Lightroom will open a file with a partial implementation of DNG spec where Aperture wants a full implementation. That was a deciding factor for me, at least, because I still like to shoot medium format film in my line up of cameras.

11-08-2011, 07:14 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
This probably doesn't mean much to most but if you are still shooting film and scan to a TIFF-DNG file, Lightroom will edit the resulting DNG from VueScan. Aperture will not (last I check, anyway). Lightroom will open a file with a partial implementation of DNG spec where Aperture wants a full implementation. That was a deciding factor for me, at least, because I still like to shoot medium format film in my line up of cameras.
That is a limitation of the Apple RAW processor instead of Aperture specifically. Nothing that uses the Apple RAW processor will open a VueScan DNG file. You can open it in the free RAW Photo Processor and save it as a TIFF.
11-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I churned out 2 photobooks from Aperture last night in a couple of hours; a 100 page one and a 40 page one. By churned out I mean created from scratch, uploaded and paid for, all done! Now I only have another 4 to go this month

Like I said, this is why I run Aperture, it may not excite pixel peepers but it sure makes getting photos out of the bits and bytes world and onto paper easy.
11-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That is a limitation of the Apple RAW processor instead of Aperture specifically. Nothing that uses the Apple RAW processor will open a VueScan DNG file. You can open it in the free RAW Photo Processor and save it as a TIFF.
That's stretching the fault a little thin. Kind of like saying to a mechanic my car needs fixing and he replies, "No it doesn't. The engine does." And you're thinking, right, like I said, my car needs fixing.

Last edited by tuco; 11-08-2011 at 05:49 PM.
11-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #26
MSM
Veteran Member

I have been wondering the same thing regarding PP. I am a mac user and an AP2 user. I have been thinking about upgrading to AP3, especially since it's ~80$. But, I saw Amazon selling the LR3 regular (non student/teacher) copy for 150$. It made me wonder if it is worth jumping ship.

I'm just an enthusiast so not a whole lot of demands. I wish the AP2 had better printing options, curves, lens correction, split-toning, the presets that I see LR3 users have, and maybe layers- type feature. (I fully admit that some may already exist with AP2 that I have overlooked.) Which if any are in AP3. By better printing options, I mean it would be nice to simply choose say 2 different photos that I can print out on a single sheet of photo paper.

If I understand what folks are saying here, I would have to upgrade to 8 gb RAM regardless of application which adds 50-75$ to my purchase. I also assume that much of what I have learned and use with AP2 would carry over with AP3, as opposed to learning a new interface. So, I guess I am leaning AP3. But, I have the impression that there is more LR3 users, features and support. (Maybe I am too much a Scott Kelby fanboy I do like his books and he has so many good tips for part-time hacks like myself.)

Anywho, thoughts and words of wisdom appreciated in advance.
11-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #27
Veteran Member

MSM. There ARE a helluva lot more LR3 users because you can use it on most platforms whereas A3 is only for Mac users. That doesn't make it better. It will depend on your personal usage - and it doesn't sound like you that demanding so personally in your situation I'd stay will A3 (I prefer it anyway but then that is another matter entirely).

I have a ton of free presets loaded on A3 (just google for them) - more than I will ever need. My best advice is to go to Apple and check out what upgrades A3 has over A2. It sounds to me like it will cure most of your ills - lens correction can be done for a few dollars more by installing PTLens - a really excellent lens correction program.
11-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #28
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
MSM. There ARE a helluva lot more LR3 users because you can use it on most platforms whereas A3 is only for Mac users. That doesn't make it better. It will depend on your personal usage - and it doesn't sound like you that demanding so personally in your situation I'd stay will A3 (I prefer it anyway but then that is another matter entirely).

I have a ton of free presets loaded on A3 (just google for them) - more than I will ever need. My best advice is to go to Apple and check out what upgrades A3 has over A2. It sounds to me like it will cure most of your ills - lens correction can be done for a few dollars more by installing PTLens - a really excellent lens correction program.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will definitely look into the PTlens plug-in and the the presets. I tried once for AP2 and didn't find too much, though it was awhile back. It seems that AP3 may be the better choice for me.