Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ACDsee Pro 5

Has anyone else tried out the new ACDsee Pro 5?
I've been using it for a few days now and absolutely love it! I've always found ACDsee much easier to use that PS and with the new 5 it's even better. They've now included a new dodge and burn tool and I've always loved they RAW processing tools.

11-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks interesting. I once used ACDsee as a photo organizer, but since Microsoft bought it, the program doesn't work on Macs.
11-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Microsoft do not Own ACDsee. They also do an Apple version
ACDSee Pro Mac - Photo Editing, Photo Management, Photo Editor, Digital Photography, RAW, Digital Asset Management, DAM

I was using ACDsee and I move to Photo Director from Cyberlink . They made a free offer last summer
Good program , not equivalent to Lightroom but good enought for my usage
11-08-2011, 01:28 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
ACDSee Pro is a totally different product from the old photo browser. I'm using it since version 2.0 and I love it. I bought it for the excellent RAW processor, and I enjoy its great organizing and editing features as well.
highly recommended.

11-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've been using ACDsee since I bought my first digital camera way back in the day. Pro 5 is by far the best thing they have put out yet. Pro 4 had a lot of bugs and I'm sure this is why they released 5 so quickly after releasing 4. I just find they RAW processor and photo browser far easier and user friendly than PS and I do also own PS but rarely use it. I highly recommend ACDsee to anyone looking for a good photo editing program.
11-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I used Acdsee years ago when it was basically just an organizer tool.

When I picked my hobby back up about a year ago, I did the trial for Paint Shop Pro, Lightroom, and Acdsee Pro 4, and ran them through their paces quite extensively for the 30 days trials. In the end, I bought Acdsee Pro 4, and of course have now upgraded to 5. I like their organizer the best hands down. I like their edition routing - for me it was the perfect balance of ease of use and powerful enough to do more than I need to do at this time. I shoot raw 90% of the time, and find their raw conversion great. Then working down the list for Develop and Edit is nice since it kind of has its own work flow.

There were a couple features I like more in Lightroom, but in the end for the entire package, I went with Acdsee and very happy with the decision.

It seems that 99% here and on other forums use Lightroom - to me it's like Lightroom is to Acdsee as Canikon is to Pentax.
11-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Loved v2.0. It was the only thing keeping me on a Windows machine. The program was stable, !!FAST!! and pretty full featured especially for organizing and tracking photos and the work done with them.
Then v2.5 came along... it corrupted my database so badly, over and over again and support was SO HORRIBLE, I left them for good.

I've been looking fondly back at the days of ACDSee Pro 2 and hoping they would make it usable again.
I really feel every day like I am forcing myself to use Lightroom or Aperture.
Neither is as intuitive and full featured for tagging photos.
Neither is as fast for display, lookup, or sorting of images.

Although even for version 2.0, the "Pro" in the name was a huge misnomer and I think it offended a lot of people because the program was not quite ready for real pro use.

Its certainly not enough to make me go back to Windows, but if they've continued to make significant improvements, especially towards stability, a Mac version might make me switch away from Lightroom. Heck, I'm using Pentax, why stay with the big name software as well, eh? :-)

11-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
a Mac version might make me switch away from Lightroom. Heck, I'm using Pentax, why stay with the big name software as well, eh? :-)
There is a Mac version:

ACDSee Pro Mac - Photo Editing, Photo Management, Photo Editor, Digital Photography, RAW, Digital Asset Management, DAM

Maybe a trial is in order?
11-10-2011, 11:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The Mac version is just a small subset of the Windows version. But the Windows version is easily the equal of Lightroom et al. Not sure what problem the poster above had with 2.5 - I never once saw a corrupted db, nor did that seem to be a particularly common problem on their forums, but in any case, the current version (Pro 5) is really leaps ahead of Pro 2 / Pro 2.5.