Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help needed - Photoshop script / action

Hi,

I am using CS5, I create a 'photo frame' for my picture using the 'images-canvas' feature, as well as adding some text using the text features, and then resize the image using 'image-resize'.
As number of photo grow... it is obviously a pain to add frame, text, resize manually to every pictures. I realize in CS5 you can automate thing using script / actions.
After some search, I can't find any good source to get me started (maybe I did not search using the right terms). I am pretty new to CS5 (OK, I am a completely newbie) so any help is greatly appreciated.
Even if you can show me a simple script /action where I can resize my picture will be good enough (pls tell me where should I put the script and how do I ran the script).

Thanks!
Lee

11-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Perhaps this will help.

Photoshop Actions - Automating Photoshop with Actions
11-12-2011, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Hi,

I am using CS5, I create a 'photo frame' for my picture using the 'images-canvas' feature, as well as adding some text using the text features, and then resize the image using 'image-resize'.
As number of photo grow... it is obviously a pain to add frame, text, resize manually to every pictures. I realize in CS5 you can automate thing using script / actions.
After some search, I can't find any good source to get me started (maybe I did not search using the right terms). I am pretty new to CS5 (OK, I am a completely newbie) so any help is greatly appreciated.
Even if you can show me a simple script /action where I can resize my picture will be good enough (pls tell me where should I put the script and how do I ran the script).

Thanks!
Lee
what are you going to use the photos for, web or print? also what sizes?
let me know and I will help you out by walking through it with you

cheers
11-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Slip,

Thanks for the offer. What I did manually involves four steps:
1. Create a 40pixel white color canvas with equal ratio on each side of the photo;
2. Create a 4pixel grey color canvas with equal ratio on each side of the photo;
3. Resize the image to the shorter side to be 1600pixel;
4. Save that image as Jpg (keep the psd file size untouched);

Right now is mostly for uploading to web services like Flickr. I also want to be able to put like a 'signature' on a photo using script /action.

Is there any example where I can get started?

Lee

11-12-2011, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

In Photoshop, open the Actions window (Window/Actions Actions should be checked).
Find the actions pane and click on the top right corner and make sure Button Mode is unchecked.
Now, open a file that you want to work on, and then in the action pane, click the top right corner again and click New Action, give it a name.
Do everything that you want the action to do to the file you opened. You will notice as you go along that what you are doing gets recorded.
When you are done, but before saving, click the little red stop button on the bottom of the action pane.
Now close the file you used (without saving), and reopen it.
Either run the action you just made by clicking on it and then run, or go back to button mode and clich the button that has the action name.
I find it best to stay in list mode until I am sure the action is correct.
You may find it gets stuck, in which case figure out what you did wrong, you can drag the bad command to the trash and rewrite it.
After you have the action running right, you can run it as a batch (file/automate/batch)
The dialogue box that opens is pretty self explanatory.
11-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Wheatfield....

Big Thanks!!! look foward to learn more from you guys! Most straight to the point explanation (and tips!)!!
Got it ! This will save me a lot of time! =)
Appreciate it!

Lee
11-16-2011, 04:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
In Photoshop, open the Actions window (Window/Actions Actions should be checked).
Find the actions pane and click on the top right corner and make sure Button Mode is unchecked.
Now, open a file that you want to work on, and then in the action pane, click the top right corner again and click New Action, give it a name.
Do everything that you want the action to do to the file you opened. You will notice as you go along that what you are doing gets recorded.
When you are done, but before saving, click the little red stop button on the bottom of the action pane.
Now close the file you used (without saving), and reopen it.
Either run the action you just made by clicking on it and then run, or go back to button mode and clich the button that has the action name.
I find it best to stay in list mode until I am sure the action is correct.
You may find it gets stuck, in which case figure out what you did wrong, you can drag the bad command to the trash and rewrite it.
After you have the action running right, you can run it as a batch (file/automate/batch)
The dialogue box that opens is pretty self explanatory.
Great explanation!!

cheers