Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #1

Saving Edits With Photo DCU 4.33?

I shoot raw (PEF) exculisvely and use DCU 4.33. Is there a way to save your edits with the PEF file so you can later come back to them (open again and have them still apply)?

I have found that as long as I don't close DCU or divert away to a different folder they are retained. But if I go to a different folder or close DCU they are lost.

Thanks,

Mike

11-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, unfortunately not. Photoshop Camera RAW can do it (it saves the settings in a separate file in the case of PEF and these settings are re-applied when you open the file next time). Also, Adope Lightroom is based on the principle of saving the settings without affecting the original file. Lightroom is currently available at half price.

What you can do with DCU is to save your edited image as a TIFF file, where there is no loss of image quality. You could even save different edits of the same image as different TIFF files.

Last edited by Ole; 11-16-2011 at 09:19 PM.
11-17-2011, 06:44 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by trailrider Quote
I shoot raw (PEF) exculisvely and use DCU 4.33. Is there a way to save your edits with the PEF file so you can later come back to them (open again and have them still apply)?

I have found that as long as I don't close DCU or divert away to a different folder they are retained. But if I go to a different folder or close DCU they are lost.

Thanks,

Mike
You, can save the parameter file, but you have to save it manually all the time after you edited your photos. After you edited your picture go to File -> Save Parameter -> navigate to the location of the picture then type the name of the picture (e.g. IMGP3056) -> press Save. The program will create a file called IMGP3056.ini. This .ini file contains the parameters of that picture.
11-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I wish they would add this feature.

Mike

11-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by trailrider Quote
Mike
My settings stay as I left them. In other words, I can edit half the photos in a folder (sensitivity, contrast etc) and close the program. When I return, my settings are still displayed correctly and I can finish editing the rest of the images. I suspect you have something set differently. I'm not sure what that is, but I would try this.

TOOLS > OPTIONS > Check the following boxes:
- STATUS AT STARTUP -> STATUS AT LAST EXIT
- DISPLAY SETTINGS OF CONTROL PANEL -> SAVE CHANGES

Hopefully this works, but as I said, I'm guessing. I don't remember what I did.