Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
How on earth do I convert my DNG photos to JPEG?

Can someone walk me through this for Elements of Lightroom 3? I can Develop in LR, but I don't see a way to save a copy of the edited photo in JPEG. I've been searching this forum and Adobe, but can't find what I'm looking for..
Help!
scott

11-16-2011, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Export! (button in the lower left area of the screen in library mode)
11-16-2011, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Or from either Library or Develop module simply go to the File menu and choose Export, or hit Ctrl-Shift-E.
11-16-2011, 05:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
Ahhhh.. Will try. Where do they export to?

11-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where you export to is your choice. I believe the best option (for me) is to export to the "Lightroom Burned Export" default folder which is created inside the folder where your raw files are located. That's my favorite but you may direct it somewhere else like a folder in my pictures or something like that.
11-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenRGuy Quote
Where do they export to?
Wherever you like. You can specify a folder in the dialog that pops up with the Export command. There are a lot of settings for you to play with, and you can save favorite parameters as presets. You can do batch exports too, of course: just select all the pics you want to export (click in the "film strip" at the bottom and hold down the Ctrl key to select multiple pics) Once you're used to the options and have things set up the way you like, exporting will be about the simplest thing you do in Lightroom.

Have fun!
11-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks! This is great!

11-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The LR learning curve is steep at first but once you get past that period it's really great.
11-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
The LR learning curve is steep at first but once you get past that period it's really great.
Yep it's worth persevering with. I love lightroom now. it was a bit daunting at first.
11-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #10

Original Poster
I just used Lightroom to develop RAW for the first time and its amazing. All the time I spent trying to reduce noise on jpeg images (Adams K7 settings etc) I was inside a hall with poor lighting an lots of stained glass windows. Lots of bright faces and dark gowns (my daughter's graduation)
I exported to a "grad" folder, but want to set one up for general use. Can I just create a folder anywhere on my C drive, or does it have to be in Lightroom somewhere? Guess I don't get the relationship between the program and my c drive.. Forgive the dense questions, but I'm learning!!
11-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenRGuy Quote
Can I just create a folder anywhere on my C drive, or does it have to be in Lightroom somewhere?
You can create folders and subfolders anywhere you like. Depending on the size of your exports, your C drive might fill up quite fast. You might want to use an external drive.
This applies as well to imports of the raw files into your catalogs to begin with: you can set a default import location, or be specific. I unfortunately am terrible disorganized, and my catalogs are a mess. It'll pay if you try to be meticulous to start with in organizing your hard drives and deciding where to keep catalog data, original raw files, and exported jpegs.

But as I said, the export process is a piece of cake; if you take a lot of photos, managing the catalogs is where it'll really pay to read the help files, and try to be systematic in your approach. The processing itself can be a very entertaining course of trial and error and experiment, if you like, or you can google "lightroom workflow" for lots of tutorials on more systematic approaches.

Beware: LR can be addictive. I hope you don't make my biggest mistake, which is spending too much time on tweaking images and not enough actually shooting them!