Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

JohnBee, very lovely photo - kudos!!!

This image isn't very far from the original and was done in Topaz BW. I don't think its over processed, ymmv.
I've tried Topaz Detail and didn't buy. Bought Topaz NR a while back but have since switched to LR3 NR and find it easier to adjust.

This image also done in Topaz BW which lets one add a bit of color locally or globally

Last edited by philbaum; 12-06-2011 at 01:55 PM.
12-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
NR is probably the most prized plugin- we'll be taking a look at it next!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
Den
Veteran Member

I've been messing around with the trial for a couple of days now, but the final image (back in my regular program) looks quite different than the preview in Adjust? Am I going too far with the adjustments?
02-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well it should look better, if anything, right? I don't think the preview is as high-res.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #20
Den
Veteran Member

Actually it was making them worse. I figured out what I was doing wrong. Had nothing to do with Topaz, I was not using my layers correctly in PhotoPlus X5. All is good now. Man, trying to understand all these new things at my age (66) is a slow process but it's better than being bored or working at a job I hate!
02-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Adam,
Thank you, much appreciate the PF review. I followed the link to Topaz Adjust, used their trial for about 2 weeks, and decided not to pass up the Ver 5 offer for 1/3 off. Got it for $30 or so.

I have LR and Elements. My criteria is for any new software - show me something that I wouldn't have got to with my existing softtware and i'll consider buying. For BW, i tried Nik software and passed on it, and then tried Topaz BWEffects (bought BW effects). Tried Topaz Adjust and bought it. I've spent my software budget for 2012, hope they don't come up with anything else

I think Topaz software is on a roll with these last 2 programs - some very nice features in both. (i also have an older version of Topaz Denoise, but don't like it nearly as well for some reason)
As to your budget I think we are all in the same boat at different levels But what may be some good news Topaz has always given the next update of a product FREE! I have downloaded 15-20 free updates from them. I own everything in the suite except BW effects I've been using NIK silver effects but will move to Topaz soon. Anyway go to their website and download the latest version of DeNoise (DeNoise5) you will need to go into the menu and enter your code from your first purchase (not needed with the newer releases they will auto confirm). If you have lost your code they will help you out. Topaz also has free webinars by top notch photogs like Rick Sammon etc. all are then loaded onto YouTube. You can go overboard with Adjust so find the preset closest to where you want to go and detune it play with the sliders. Also use layers adjust the opacity of the effect to get what you want. Topaz is adding brush technology to their new releases as they come out.
02-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Den Quote
I've been messing around with the trial for a couple of days now, but the final image (back in my regular program) looks quite different than the preview in Adjust? Am I going too far with the adjustments?
Have the same problem... i wonder if it's because i'm using 16bit files with a big colour pallet?
Anyway i'm using Nik now most of the time, it's more my style of program although denoise can be very good sometimes