Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #46
Veteran Member

@rtpguy, thank you for the explaination.

@boriscleto, It's true off course you can do all that on almost every OS but in OSX case you need a Mac for stability and then you're looking at very serious money for a rig that can render decently.
Several yours ago i used Maya but they didn't make it for the OSX at the time, not sure if there where any serious 3D programs 2 á 3 year ago for OSX.
Sadly now that the future of Mac pro isn't certain it might be the end off it...

Anyway we are way off topic ^^

12-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It's not all that hard either.
Thanks. I have actually seen something like that before. I'm happy to replace parts that were meant to be replacable on computers, but would rather skip opening something like the 2009 Mini that wasn't meant to be opened by users. Feels just too risky being such a clumsy type with two left hands.
12-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
@rtpguy, thank you for the explaination.

@boriscleto, It's true off course you can do all that on almost every OS but in OSX case you need a Mac for stability and then you're looking at very serious money for a rig that can render decently.
Several yours ago i used Maya but they didn't make it for the OSX at the time, not sure if there where any serious 3D programs 2 á 3 year ago for OSX.
Sadly now that the future of Mac pro isn't certain it might be the end off it...

Anyway we are way off topic ^^
Most 3d software runs on Mac OS X

Comparison of 3D computer graphics software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But of course the most popular one doesn't. (Maya and AutoCad run on OS X, why not 3ds?)

Pixar would of course be using their own proprietary modeling software.

Maya has run on OS X for a long time. I think Mac support was dropped when Autodesk bought it and then brought back after the switch to Intel.

As far as the Mac Pro being discontinued, I put those rumors in the same category as the iPhone nano or 7 inch iPad. It hasn't been updated because the Sandy Bridge Xeon doesn't have a 6 core version.

Last edited by boriscleto; 12-06-2011 at 03:08 PM.
12-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Who cares what Pixar uses. What do you use is all that should matter.

I work with in house software on Linux during the day, have a company Windows desktop at work, have a Mac Pro for desktop at home, have a home built firewall/router out of OpenBSD, have a FreeBSD server for a specialized task and have a Mac Mini running a home HTTP server with OpenBSD on it. They are all just computers to me. Arguing about which OS has prettier icons or which one has fewer mouse button clicks to perform a task is just silly.

Help the OP out by staying on topic. I will add that a Mac Mini with 8GB of RAM is less than satisfactory if you run Lightroom, export to Photoshop and back again for final editing with scanned 4000dpi medium format film which is unlikely for the OP but I'd thought I add something.

Last edited by tuco; 12-06-2011 at 04:15 PM.