Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
LightRoom graduated filter function not sufficient

LightRoom3 serves my post production needs well with one exception. I want to be able to define an area - such as sky - and apply changes such as LR allows with graduated filters, or better yet, changes that LR allows with the entire image. I would like to continue using LR, so a plugin or program that allows quick and reliable shifting to and from LR is preferable.

Suggestions?

12-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Topaz stuff?

I think remask might be able to do some of the gradient stuff.

You could also always go down the photoshop route, but I'm not sure if you want to go down that route if you already have LR
12-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, Adam. Remask suggests it does what I want. I will install the trial version and check it out. If it works well, winter is a good time to spend a few hundred hours tweaking images.
12-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Unfortunately, Topaz Remask is not compatible with Lightroom. Any other ideas?

12-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've been working with NIK Viveza2 as a LR3 plugin. It is quick and allows selection based on tone or hue. Downsides are need to work with .tiffs and visble non-linearity of effect based on distance from control points when making large changes. Still, for most images, it is quite useful.
12-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
LightRoom3 serves my post production needs well with one exception. I want to be able to define an area - such as sky - and apply changes such as LR allows with graduated filters, or better yet, changes that LR allows with the entire image. I would like to continue using LR, so a plugin or program that allows quick and reliable shifting to and from LR is preferable.

Suggestions?
Plug-in's by definition means working with TIFFs, that's how I understand it. With a fast computer though the going back and forth is speedy.

Nik Colex Efex can do what you want (with TIFFs) with control points, I use them all the time to isolate effects in one region or other of a photo.