Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2011, 06:05 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Aperture 3 and Lightroom 3 are very comparable, both trying to achieve the same thing. I switched from Aperture to LR3, mostly because on an elderly computer LR3 runs faster.

LR3 is faster on old hardware (I've heard Aperture is GPU limited, so if you have a slow GPU the whole thing goes slow, not sure if this is true but it matches my experience). LR3 has much better noise reduction and better lens profiles, and more plugins.

Aperture did some things better - BW conversions were better IMO, and the auto levels has both BW and colour versions which I found very useful. LR only has a colour one. Aperture is less expensive if you buy it from the Mac App Store. It also integrates better in Apple land e.g. streaming photos to your TV via Apple TV, integration with photo screensavers on Mac and AppleTV, automatic syncing to iOS devices, etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimmy637 Quote
Like I said unless you now what your doing in aperture be aware.
Mac and aperture are not like on a PC were you can find anything anytime and move files around out side of the program.
LR3 has the same problem, except that the photos in LR3 aren't hidden away from newbie eyes.

12-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Like I said unless you now what your doing in aperture be aware.
Some people are organizationally challenged. That quote applies to looking through your files in the folders on your hard drive as well. If you don't take steps to keep things organized, you're going to lose stuff, there's no software on earth that can stop a person who's determined to screw up. Because some people have screwed up using Aperture, doesn't mean Aperture was the problem.

To lose (delete) a file on APerture you have to

1. Select delete file from the drop down menu
2. click on the checkbox that asks you if you're sure
3. go to Aperture trash and empty trash
4. go to the main trash and click empty trash
5. wait for a month (or more) until time machine has gone past the point where you can retrieve the file from Time Machine

If you can lose files with a 5 step process like that, I might suggest that it doesn't matter what system you're using, you're going to have issues.

If you're used to MAC and Aperture, don't go fooling around on a PC. It'll drive you crazy. That's just part of the nature of the beast. I've always said, the system you know is better for you than the system you don't know. But that doesn't make one intrinsically better than the other.
12-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #18

Thanks for your advice.
These are good things to know.
If anybody is organizationally challenged, determined to screw up or is PCuser, they should not use aperture?
12-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
If anybody is organizationally challenged, determined to screw up or is PCuser, they should not use aperture?
If anyone is organizationally challenged or determined to screw up... they should just accept they are going to lose stuff, and base their decision to use or not use APerture on... (ta daaa) , what it does, not what might happen. If you're a PC user, we can probably save you...