Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote

For the professional making a living from photography and forced to live in a Microsoft/Adobe biosphere, Linux seems not to be an option but then again, it does not have to be either.
first of all it is not MS, it is either MS or Apple and then they making a living from photography, not from spending time playing w/ Linux just for the sake of playing w/ it...

12-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
12-09-2011, 08:01 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry guys, I'm going to bow out of this one. It's turning into a free for all flamebait fest.
12-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #49
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
which software ? gimp which can't get to the normal 16bit processing for eons vs for example pixelmator where just 1 (one) developer did it ? commercial packages like Bibble may be not bad,
Ahem, we've been talking about digiKam a lot on this thread. It is an excellent DAM package with very good editing capabilities, 16 bit support, etc, etc. And there are may other tools that are just great.

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
but outside of that using Linux for a non IT background photographer (who is not interested in playing w/ Linux itself) is plain stupid
I am not saying that everyone should switch to Linux. Every one' s circumstance is different. But, for a lot of people Linux is the smart way to go now. The ease of use with distros like PCLinuxOS (and OpenSuse if you have the right hardware) is phenomenal. Tools like digiKam in conjunction with a few other excellent tools can cover the needs of many, if not the vast majority of photographers. And many here can attest to that.

Please stop it with the insults.

12-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #50
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That is a good example of the difference between Linux and Microsoft or Apple. Not because they don't have similar problems. I assure you that similar discussions are had by developers of either platform. The difference is that in Linux those discussions are done in the open.

12-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Sorry guys, I'm going to bow out of this one. It's turning into a free for all flamebait fest.
Good for you, you guys were sucking the life out of what could have been a great thread.
@rm2, your right buddy, there are a lot of great tools out there. I just installed KDE to try out Digikam, I've been using RawTherapee ( which I think is great) but after reading all the non "bs" posts, I thought I'd take it for a spin. Thanks all.
12-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #52
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reala Quote
Good for you, you guys were sucking the life out of what could have been a great thread.
@rm2, your right buddy, there are a lot of great tools out there. I just installed KDE to try out Digikam, I've been using RawTherapee ( which I think is great) but after reading all the non "bs" posts, I thought I'd take it for a spin. Thanks all.
Nice going reala. But, I just feel I have to give you a little heads up. Ubuntu is not known to provide a very good KDE experience. It is primarily a Gnome/Unity geared distribution. So, if you have some issues with KDE, just know that you may not have those issues with a distro that is more geared to KDE. For using KDE I would recommend distros like PCLinuxOS, Mandriva, OpenSuse (If you have the right hardware), Arch, and others, before Kubuntu.

12-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rm2 Quote
For using KDE I would recommend distros like PCLinuxOS, Mandriva, OpenSuse (If you have the right hardware), Arch, and others, before Kubuntu.
Why run Kubuntu at all? If the libraries are installed Digikam runs just fine in GNOME.
12-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Why run Kubuntu at all? If the libraries are installed Digikam runs just fine in GNOME.
It ran fine but the themes were messed up. The left and right side bars were always bright white and I couldn't change it is all. After I installed KDE it was all perfect. And thanks for the tips rm2.
12-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #55
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some of you mentioned the desire of running some Windows applications through wine. I also have a windows application that I like to run through wine, but was having trouble running it. The version of wine that comes with OpenSuse 12.1 is 1.3.30. I found out that by adding a special wine repository i could get a newer version.

Wine - openSUSE

By uninstalling wine, adding this repository, and installing wine again I was able to upgrade my wine version to 1.3.34! My Windows program is now running perfectly under wine. Just thought I shared.
12-14-2011, 02:25 AM   #56
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
there is no difference at all between linux, *bsd flavours or even opensolaris, if you can spend few weekends compiling stuff and tuning it afterwards

being an unix admin in the office, i decided to switch to hackintosh at home - it works fine with LR3/PS and, hey, it`s UNIX after all
12-14-2011, 07:50 AM   #57
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by masloff Quote
there is no difference at all between linux, *bsd flavours or even opensolaris, if you can spend few weekends compiling stuff and tuning it afterwards

being an unix admin in the office, i decided to switch to hackintosh at home - it works fine with LR3/PS and, hey, it`s UNIX after all
MAC OS is a fine Unix distro. Too bad it doesn't come with rolling upgrades.