Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2007, 06:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Lab Mode issues?

I developed this picture in Lightroom and everything looked great. Nice exposure, good colors. Then I sent it over to PS for sharpening. I changed it to lab mode, and sharpened the lightness channel.......after which I noticed that it looked a bit darker. I sharpened like this after reading it somewhere.....I wonder if this is the issue. Although the .dng and sharpened .tiff didn't look too different exposurewise. Here is the shot. I'm going to post the pre-exported to PS shot when I get home......

12-20-2007, 07:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How complicated should I make the answer?

In a nutshell:
All color spaces are not equal; every conversion from 'A' space to 'B' space has the potential for loss and/or shift. It's not an 'issue', it's the math.

QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
I developed this picture in Lightroom and everything looked great. Nice exposure, good colors. Then I sent it over to PS for sharpening. I changed it to lab mode, and sharpened the lightness channel.......after which I noticed that it looked a bit darker. I sharpened like this after reading it somewhere.....I wonder if this is the issue. Although the .dng and sharpened .tiff didn't look too different exposurewise. Here is the shot. I'm going to post the pre-exported to PS shot when I get home......

12-20-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
so nothing is regained when converting back to RGB?
12-20-2007, 08:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Losses are permanent and cumulative with each conversion; shifts are, at best haphazard and unpredictable in those areas of greatest shift.

QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
so nothing is regained when converting back to RGB?

12-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well I know what I won't be doing again!

I'm still going to post the pre export to PS. It doesn't explain why the DNG would appear the same as the tiff after the sharpening.....could just be my eyes though.