Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #1

Color printer reviews

Slightly off the topic, however maybe someone has some info or experience. I run a small print and graphics business, strictly conventional offset, I do have a large format Epson injet for proofing and my own photo outputs.

Lately I have been getting more and more short run 4 color work, and the time to image and make the plates is getting long. I found a deal on a refurbished Konica Minolta C450 with stacker and booklet maker. THis is an inexpensive machine to feed, and will print up to 12 x 18, up to 12 point card stock, bot gloss and no gloss.

I'd like to find a site with other users of this equipment and their opinions, problems, issues, etc. before I shell out my hard earned money.

I got some sample prints off the unit - and they are very good. Also, it does duplex printing - talk about a time saver.

Thanks

Ian R.

12-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Color Printer

QuoteOriginally posted by va2ir Quote
Slightly off the topic, however maybe someone has some info or experience. I run a small print and graphics business, strictly conventional offset, I do have a large format Epson injet for proofing and my own photo outputs.

Lately I have been getting more and more short run 4 color work, and the time to image and make the plates is getting long. I found a deal on a refurbished Konica Minolta C450 with stacker and booklet maker. THis is an inexpensive machine to feed, and will print up to 12 x 18, up to 12 point card stock, bot gloss and no gloss.

I'd like to find a site with other users of this equipment and their opinions, problems, issues, etc. before I shell out my hard earned money.

I got some sample prints off the unit - and they are very good. Also, it does duplex printing - talk about a time saver.

Thanks

Ian R.
I'm also in the commercial printing business (offset). We've been running a Konica-Minolta 5500 in our shop for about three years for the short run color work and it does an admirable job. We run a LOT of 100# Gloss Cover on the machine and have no problems whatsoever.
If you can find a 5500 or 6500 KM, it will do a much better job for ya' than the 450 (which is an office class machine). The 5500/6500 series are engineered for the "print for pay business" and are capable of much better work.
12-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ho Bob, thanks for the reply. I do most of my work offset on a GTO52 2 color, however I can pick up this 450C with the saddle stapler/folder/finisher, its a refurb machine, for $2500 CDN dollars. I am in Montreal. A new one, the 452 - the local dealer wants $12000 for it, plus the finisher.

I do have one job on tap right now for it, 1000 copies of a 28 page booklet, 8 x 8 finished saddlestitched. All pages are 4 over 4. No bleed. 70 pound offset paper. If I do this on the GTO, its 28 double sided plates and a lot of setups, not to mention the collating and finishing. On the Konica, well, I can tell it to collate, staple and fold in one operation.

What concerns me is any kind of parts that wear out, such as drums, belts, wipers, etc etc. This unit has 110,000 impressions on it. I assume there is still some life left to it.

I'm not interested in spending big dollars as right now I am taking things month by month. I will however look at the 5500 and see what its all about.

Regards

Ian R.
12-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
The Konica will do the job!!!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by va2ir Quote
Ho Bob, thanks for the reply. I do most of my work offset on a GTO52 2 color, however I can pick up this 450C with the saddle stapler/folder/finisher, its a refurb machine, for $2500 CDN dollars. I am in Montreal. A new one, the 452 - the local dealer wants $12000 for it, plus the finisher.

I do have one job on tap right now for it, 1000 copies of a 28 page booklet, 8 x 8 finished saddlestitched. All pages are 4 over 4. No bleed. 70 pound offset paper. If I do this on the GTO, its 28 double sided plates and a lot of setups, not to mention the collating and finishing. On the Konica, well, I can tell it to collate, staple and fold in one operation.

What concerns me is any kind of parts that wear out, such as drums, belts, wipers, etc etc. This unit has 110,000 impressions on it. I assume there is still some life left to it.

I'm not interested in spending big dollars as right now I am taking things month by month. I will however look at the 5500 and see what its all about.

Regards

Ian R.
Sorry it's been so long since I originally posted this. I'll just add that the job you described will make you money on digital. We do that sort of job routinely here in our little shop.