Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
Forum Member

What to print on

Howdy all,

I have about 30 pictures I'm trying to have printed (a set of 8 black and white portraits from Afghanistan, some HDR scenery, and a couple more black and white of people and some HDR of animals), and all is good except I'm not sure what types of paper to print on.

My choices are:
Glossy
Matte
Lustre
Metallic

I've tried to read about each online, but all I get is the generic "this is professional grade... beautiful for printing everything you can even hope to capture... etc..." so I'm trying to decide what to pick.

Any suggestions (attaching a couple pictures as examples of what I'm trying to print)?

Thanks ya'll,
Oren

Attached Images

12-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I generally lean towards a Matte or Pearl (lustre) finish. always have even when wet printing. Pearl (Lustre) gives just enough sheen.

Where are you printing it. Personally If i send out for print I look at their Fine Art paper options. Hannemuhle is a good vendor of them and you can buy it for your Inkjet as well so you can run test prints
You can usually find a sample pack that lets you try out the various styles of paper.. link is to the Glossy to give you an example. I really like the Fine Art Baryta for B/W

Hahnemühle FineArt - Glossy FineArt

FineArt Baryta
325 gsm · 100% α-Cellulose · bright white · high-gloss

QuoteQuote:
FineArt Baryta is a paper that sets the benchmark for high colour depth, large colour gamut and image definition. This paper gives the "wow" factor particularly to black and white prints with extremely high density and finest grey tones. Using barium sulphate in the premium inkjet coating ensures the typical gloss that makes this paper a genuine replacement for traditional Baryta papers from analogue laboraty
12-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Based on the way you processed those images, I think you will be pleased with the metallic surface. Metallic is to luster the way HDR is to non-HDR - Obviously artificial, but with lots of pop.
12-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I am not that big on printing as most people have switched to digital options to view their images with though if there is a great need to print on a physical paper, I just use my trusty Kodak photo paper.

Choosing which photo paper is not that hard for me as I pretty much get a glossy finish with not that much dense to it so that colors are given their justice. Though if something really cheap comes up from Amazon, I always oblige to give it a try.

12-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cool, thanks everyone. This time through, I'm experimenting with a couple metallic and some matte. Can't wait to see how they look.

Oren