Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Help--Ghastly Color!

I'm used to dim and uneven lighting when shooting high school basketball but this is ridiculous! To my eye the light was a bit weird but consistent but the photos all show a horizontal WB shift (and not always in the same direction--sometimes the reddish cast is on the right and sometimes, on the left.) I tried both in-camera and PP WB adjustment without real success. Anyone know what's goig on here?

12-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

You are seeing the change of phase of the florescent lighting. It shifts with a certain frequency. If shoot out of phase, you will catch its different colors. Typically, its somewhere around 1/60th
12-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The right part of the image appears to be underexposed (in addition to the color cast). Have you tried to use a graduated digital filter to increase the exposure on the right and to color-shift it?
12-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmm, enoeske, the lights had a strange bluish/pinkish tone as I looked at them--maybe some sort of 'warm florescent' perhaps? . I was shooting at 1/640s, btw.

You're certainly right about the exposure, demp10, and that's a good suggestion (but a bit beyond my ability at the moment.)

12-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just wondering... are you using some sort of lens shade? wondering if the lens is getting somehow effected by the shade from it. long shot but this is the only thing I can think of right now
12-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lighting was probably NOT fluorescent but Sodium or Mercury vapor (metal halide) lamps. For color output they suck. This IS the technical term for it! To give a greater spectral range they sometimes mix Sodium vapor (pink/orangish color cast) with Mercury vapor (bluing cast). You may be up against such a mixing of lamps, bluish on one side, pinkish on the other.
12-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I used a hood if that's what you mean, slip, but I always do so I don't think that's a factor. I think BD probably nailed it: it's just really sucky light. Fortunately I'll only shoot in that venue once a year--if that..