Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2007, 07:15 AM   #1

Lens Exif Data and DxO

I have a K10D with firmware 1.30 and both the kit lens and the DA* 16-50. I just installed DxO ver 5.0.3 and the five available Pentax lens modules. However the program does not recognize the exif data for the lens type. I have a support request in with DxO but was wondering if I might get an answer here faster.

Thanks,

David W. Kesner

Last edited by dddphoto; 12-26-2007 at 07:16 AM. Reason: added name
12-26-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dddphoto Quote
I have a K10D with firmware 1.30 and both the kit lens and the DA* 16-50. I just installed DxO ver 5.0.3 and the five available Pentax lens modules. However the program does not recognize the exif data for the lens type. I have a support request in with DxO but was wondering if I might get an answer here faster.

Thanks,

David W. Kesner
DxO sent me an updated module list dll, but it did not resolve the problem. They are still working on it. The DA* 50-135 is also unrecognized. They sent me a note that they were short staffed over the season.
12-26-2007, 12:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
DxO sent me an updated module list dll, but it did not resolve the problem. They are still working on it. The DA* 50-135 is also unrecognized. They sent me a note that they were short staffed over the season.
Thanks for the reply. I heard somewhere else that Pentax changed its format for lens identification in the exif from a three digit number (03F) to a four digit number (003F). Could be that DxO coders just haven't figured that out yet. PhotoME doesn't seem to have problems with decoding, but PSP Photo X2 can't read it either.
01-03-2008, 07:06 AM   #4

Original Poster
Reply from DxO

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I have had several contacts with DxO support now. They asked me to ftp a raw image to them and I did. Just today I received this reply:

"I am sorry that you are having this issue. We are currently having an optical expert look into the problem to see hot to fix it as it is a problem many are having. I apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you, but I have noted your ticket number and I will write you back once I know more. If you do not hear from me by the middle of next week please do not hesitate to write back and check to see if there has been an update."

David W. Kesner

01-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Hi David,

Have you got any news from DxO?
01-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm interested in this thread too. I have a K10D with several lenses, including the two DA* lenses, some Sigmas (including the 10-20), and several others. I would really like to have the ability to use the DxO software, but they just do not have the ability to recognize ANY combination of my K10D with any of my lenses.

Several emails to DxO have gone unanswered. I've requested several profiles on their website.

Of all my lenses, the Sigma 10-20 would get the most use from DxO and its perspective correction - but they don't have a profile that suits!

Basically - if I purchased the DxO software at the moment, I would get no use out of it at all.

Pity, that - bummer!
01-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Hi David,

Not yet. They did say the middle of this week and I guess Wednesday qualifies so I will fire off an email and see where they are.

David W. Kesner

01-13-2008, 11:25 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hi David,

Bad news. I received this reply from DxO:

"I am sorry that I have not contacted you back. At the moment we do not have a fix for the issue. It is a bug in the program that we are working to fix for a future release. I am sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause you."

I replied asking them if this was for the update rumored for a release later this month or for ver 6.0 in one or two years. No response on that yet.

Thanks,
01-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Indeed bad news.
I'll hold off on buying the upgrade for now. V4.5 does everything I need.

Thanks for keeping us updated.
01-13-2008, 12:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
DxO and its perspective correction - but they don't have a profile that suits!
did you try PTLens ?
01-14-2008, 02:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for that

I just tried PT Lens, and it worked very nicely. It recognised my Sigma 10-20mm lens and corrected for it. I'm not sure how the correction compares with DxO stuff - a fair bit of cropping was done, which sort of negates part of the advantage of using a wide-angle lens.

I seem to recall seeing a couple of examples of the DxO corrections that fix the distortion without doing much cropping - can anyone confirm this?

Anyway - PT Lens worked well enough to justify $15, so I just purchased a license.

When, or if, DxO get their act together and recognise that the Pentax K10D is quite a popular camera, and also introduce profiles for lenses such as the Sigma 10-20, then I might consider buying DxO. Until then, PT Lens will do the job methinks

Thanks for pointing in that direction.
01-16-2008, 07:34 AM   #12

Original Poster
More Bad News

Here is the latest reply I received from DxO support:

"I am sorry for being so vague however we do not have a time frame for this
fix. We do have a new version slated for the end of this month however we
do not have a list of the bug fixes or the exact date of release."

Thanks,
02-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #13
Pentaxian

February 12th, 2008 - DxO Optics Pro for Windows version 5.0.4

Seems the new version is out:

DxO Optics Pro v5.0.4 Windows

No mention of Pentax K10D with DA* 16-50 Module on the Release note, however.
Anybody care to try?

I'm still on a trail version and that will only be updated a few days from now.

PS anybody noticed the Slide show option doesn't work? I allways use this after a batch run in Version 4.5 with the 'before then after' option. Gives a good impression of the result.
02-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #14

Original Poster
Seems the new version is out:

DxO Optics Pro v5.0.4 Windows

No mention of Pentax K10D with DA* 16-50 Module on the Release note, however.
Actually this is what is on their site:

"Updated modules for the Pentax K10D (Pentax smc DA 16-50mm f/2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM, Pentax smc DA 50-135mm f/2.8 ED [IF] SDM) are now available to ensure compatibility with recently released K10D firmware (supported by DxO Optics Pro v5 Standard or Elite)."

So be sure and reload the modules after installing the new version.

I won't be able to do this until tomorrow as I am off to a camera club meeting tonight.
02-14-2008, 07:22 AM   #15

Original Poster
I am happy to report that DxO version 5.0.4 and the new Pentax DA*16-50 module works. Well, with one minor exception - it does not read the distance info and defaults to infinity. I will be asking support about this.

I just used DxO downloader and choose upgrade files only and the DA* 16-50 module (it is the only lens I have right now). It installed easily and I have had no errors so far. I am running it on a Windows Vista machine.