Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone use PSP X4?

I have X3 and was wondering if X4 is much better. I most interested in the workflow in RAW and RAW conversion. X3 was not good at this.

01-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #2

Didn't even know there was a new version out. About damn time to be honest, X3 was getting ooold.

Why not just download the trial and have a look?

Hmmm, so tempted to just buy it outright ... comes with Nik Color Efex Pro 3 too, old version yea, but very tempting :/
01-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #3

Oh, just to add, the Color Efec Pro plugin is only with the Ultimate edition.

Also, found a coupon for $15 off - it's SAVE15DOLLARS which you can enter at the checkout page.
01-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #4

I use X4 and can recommend it, although I use DCU4 for RAW processing as it is much more flexible and I've found it the best for translating colour.
The best thing about X4 is it now supports 16 bit for editing and plugins. Add to that Nik Colour FX (if you buy the pro version) and few new adjustment layers it really is worth the upgrade.
The RAW converter is much better than before but it's not on par with most other options in my experience.

01-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm trialling it at the moment. I'm a PSP X user. Clarify is now called Local Tone Mapping, but scripts invoking Clarify still work the same.

I'd suggest creating a script so you can compare 2 images. The sequence after loading both images is:

1. Set 100% zoom for image 1
2. Set 100% zoom for image 2
3. Tile vertically (make sure you've turned off tabbed viewing)

Unfortunately there appears to be no way to sync the panning or further zooming for these two windows. Free programs like XnView and FastStone both do this well.

Dan

Last edited by dosdan; 01-07-2012 at 08:37 PM.
01-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

World's better. Opens quicker, much more stable. Operations logically laid out in three tabs. Can't say enough about the improvements (or have I?).
01-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would agree with Dave. Biggest issue is that I find each time I upgrade the program has to reindexed all my shots

Not so bad for a new user, but when you have 80k shots and it only builds the index for the thumbnails on the screen at any one time, yoou have to do a l,it of work to get back to square 1. One disappointment, is the CA correction tool remains a fringe removal tool as opposed to geometrically rescaling the layers. I have added the plug in PTLens to resolve this limitation

01-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just downloaded PSP X4 for trial.
The UI in X4 is much better, more like SPix. It seems more stable (X3 would crash alot) but I did not use long enough to pass judgement on that. However, the Raw conversion seems no better (slow and limited in functionality).
01-09-2012, 05:58 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by spartan Quote
However, the Raw conversion seems no better (slow and limited in functionality).
Indeed. I decided to upgrade anyway as with the offer at the moment I thought I might as well.

It's a shame the program still uses effect's in the same way as older versions - I wish they would just integrate it more into the main UI. It's a pain that all the effects open in a new window ... with a different colour scheme ... with loads of wasted space in the layout ...
01-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by spartan Quote
I just downloaded PSP X4 for trial.
The UI in X4 is much better, more like SPix. It seems more stable (X3 would crash alot) but I did not use long enough to pass judgement on that. However, the Raw conversion seems no better (slow and limited in functionality).
X3 is just about to send me back to the wet darkroom. Wretchedly unstable to the point that I frequently have to reboot to close it. (From what I can tell, it's generating a second copy of the file I'm working on.) Also, I seem to have locked the browser out of my "C" drive, so I'm working from a USB 2 external. (Could it be that it's crashing when it tries to access a drive that gone to standby?)
Sorry to see the appraisal of the new raw converter. That's the reason I sprung for X3. But I find it confusing, hard to adjust and poorly documented.
It probably doesn't help that I'm still running Vista.
01-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c a sugg Quote
X3 is just about to send me back to the wet darkroom. Wretchedly unstable to the point that I frequently have to reboot to close it. (From what I can tell, it's generating a second copy of the file I'm working on.) Also, I seem to have locked the browser out of my "C" drive, so I'm working from a USB 2 external. (Could it be that it's crashing when it tries to access a drive that gone to standby?)
Sorry to see the appraisal of the new raw converter. That's the reason I sprung for X3. But I find it confusing, hard to adjust and poorly documented.
It probably doesn't help that I'm still running Vista.
I am running XT and both PSP X3 and X4 work relitively stable in that environment. With respect to storing images in the C drive, there is a function under preferences to have back up iomages saved and for infinite undo capability. disable both these and be regimented in saving under a nbew name an d you should have no issue,
01-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am very happy with X4, but some commands are still not 16bit compatible...
01-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I am very happy with X4, but some commands are still not 16bit compatible...
That is the biggest issue. Knowing which functions are 16 bit vs 8 bit and shaping your work flow.
01-20-2012, 01:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I bought PSP X4 a few weeks ago, and so far,so good.The RAW conversion is working well for me,which wouldn't work properly at all on PSP X2.Just make sure you check for updates on PSP X4 to keep the program up to date.

Last edited by Barnster; 01-20-2012 at 09:53 PM.
01-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
I bought PSP X4 a few weeks ago, and so far,so good.The RAW conversion is working well for me,which wouldn't work properly at all on PSP X2.Just make you check for updates on PSP X4 to keep the program up to date.
True

check updates, there is one majopr one since when I bought it, that corrected a bug when you copy and paste images, it used to put the right hand edge of theimage oin the left side. this has disappeared since the update