Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Highlights are fixed! (I only checked one photo that used to get a magenta cast when I tried to recover highlights. It doesn't happen anymore.)

04-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #32
Pentaxian

I can confirm that it is fixed. I had a series of shots of an airplane overhead against a cloudy sky where there were large magenta patches. The new version fixes them.
04-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Highlight recovery does seem fixed (finally, whew!), but are any of you seeing major shifts to the rest of your image when HR is turned on?

As soon as I move the Highlights slider from zero to one, I get a major histogram shift to the left, affecting everything. It reduces contrast and saturation across the frame.

No likey.
04-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Highlight recovery does seem fixed (finally, whew!), but are any of you seeing major shifts to the rest of your image when HR is turned on?

As soon as I move the Highlights slider from zero to one, I get a major histogram shift to the left, affecting everything. It reduces contrast and saturation across the frame.

No likey.
I haven't seen that. Did you notice the range slider for highlight recovery? Try that to restrict recovery.

04-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
I haven't seen that. Did you notice the range slider for highlight recovery? Try that to restrict recovery.
Interesting. Yeah, the range slider was the first thing I tried, and it had nearly no effect on the problem I'm seeing.

I posted a couple of times on the Corel forum regarding this problem (as I did repeatedly in the Bibble forums over the past year). Here's a link to my recent post with a sample PEF exhibiting the problem:

Corel User to User Web Board • View topic - Pink Areas on Over Exposed

simico, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a look. If you don't see it, I'll take some screenshots and make a composite graphic to show the difference (both in rendering and the histogram).
04-18-2012, 03:39 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
simico, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a look. If you don't see it, I'll take some screenshots and make a composite graphic to show the difference (both in rendering and the histogram).
I responded to you post over there, but it's waiting for moderator approval (lol). Here's what I wrote:

I downloaded the pef and noticed that:
  • highlight recovery didn't recover anything
  • it just pushed (quite a big push) most of the histogram to the left, it's like lowering exposure without affecting the blacks
  • color of the sky and grass changed

Here's how it looks.
Honestly, what I can see with this pef is not highlight recovery at all, it's just lowering exposure without touching the shadows.
04-22-2012, 05:09 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't tried the new version yet because I'm upgrading the desktop (i5-750) that I used for Bibble 5 Pro/Corel Aftershot to Windows Server 2008 R2. I went from 8 to 16GB and tested the new memory with Aftershot before I installed the new OS. I noticed a speed difference.

Richard.