Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by demp10 Quote
Softproof - It is quite reveling to see how your Epson Matte paper compares with the on screen image. It will save a lot of paper from test prints.
The greating thing is you can show the softproof version and the normal version.
That way you can edit the softproofed easy to match the normal one, i quite like that.

Been playing with video now, wished they put a bit more into it though but at least you can manage things a bit and it's quite easy to match exposure and the whitebalance, but it still isn't there yet.
One thing i'm stunned it's missing is an option to export your videos to premiere...

01-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Been playing with the beta. They've replaced the defringing sliders with a single checkbox with fancy new algorithm. Seems to work great -- everything I've tried so far fringing disappears with one click -- terrific for old lenses. (Still, it might be nice to keep the sliders just in case.)
01-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Been playing with the beta. They've replaced the defringing sliders with a single checkbox with fancy new algorithm. Seems to work great -- everything I've tried so far fringing disappears with one click -- terrific for old lenses. (Still, it might be nice to keep the sliders just in case.)
Means easier for newbies but less control for power users... not sure if it's a right thing to do though. I agree that they should give the options and leave it up to the users.
01-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Means easier for newbies but less control for power users... not sure if it's a right thing to do though. I agree that they should give the options and leave it up to the users.
It is not just a "newbie" replacement though -- it seems to work better than the sliders, and from what I understand it is a totally new algorithm. What I'm wondering about is extreme cases -- haven't really tried any "stress tests", but with the normal moderate fringing I get with some lenses on high contrast edges, it seems to work great.

01-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Old and new CA corrections in LR only address transverse/lateral CA, i.e., don't do anything against longitudinal/axial CA. In other words, it is an incomplete crutch.

LR CA correction is entirely not intended to address purple fringing.
01-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Old and new CA corrections in LR only address transverse/lateral CA, i.e., don't do anything against longitudinal/axial CA. In other words, it is an incomplete crutch.

LR CA correction is entirely not intended to address purple fringing.
Together with lens profiles, I don't find it lacking.
01-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thought I'd better give it a go but I had my usual response to the depressing grey UI .
Looked for way of changing it but Adobe knows better.
Oh well, back to Raw Therapee.
Pete

01-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Thought I'd better give it a go but I had my usual response to the depressing grey UI .
You can change the background for the image to brighter shades, including white.

Actually, I personally think that the UI (and some of the ACR code) is the best part of LR. It helps to focus on the image and gives it a polished look. I think the designer (Phil Clevenger) did really well (except for splitting up Library and Develop into two modules).

As I said some of the results ACR produces (LR's Develop module is just a UI to ACR) are excellent, but the rest of the code quality stinks. Performance is bad (scrolling in the library module is a catastrophe) and bugs are everywhere (oh, but they managed to fix the "cannot move multiple folders at once" bug in only the 11th attempt or so!).
01-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You can change the background for the image to brighter shades, including white...
Thanks Mate
Yep I found that bit...
I know the grey on grey is supposed to give good view of the image but just puts me right off sadly.
Pete
01-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #25

I was following some lessons for lightroom 3 on slrlouge (high key portrait) and i cant find a way to emulate correctly the brightnes slider.
How do you do guys?
01-26-2012, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sekul Quote
I was following some lessons for lightroom 3 on slrlouge (high key portrait) and i cant find a way to emulate correctly the brightnes slider.
How do you do guys?
These sliders have change a bit.
Here is a simple list how the function have changed but they changed more then the names though but the effect is roughly the same.

LR3 - LR4
brightness = exposure
contrast = contrast
recovery = highlight
Fill light = shadows
exposure = white
Black = black
01-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
These sliders have change a bit.
Here is a simple list how the function have changed but they changed more then the names though but the effect is roughly the same.

LR3 - LR4
brightness = exposure
contrast = contrast
recovery = highlight
Fill light = shadows
exposure = white
Black = black
Thank you, i will try that.
But it's really weird that they changed the meaning of exposure
01-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #28
Veteran Member

In another thread someone found the naming confusing in lightroom 3 and it actually makes more sense in LR4 now to be honest.

In lightroom 3 exposure effect mostly the lighter parts and it was used to control the whites.
And brightness effected the overall image.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 * Adjust overall image tonal scale
Exposure Sets the overall image brightness, with a greater effect in the high values. Adjust the slider until the photo looks good and the whites are at the right level.
Brightness Adjusts image brightness, mainly affecting midtones. Set the overall tonal scale by setting Exposure, Recovery, and Blacks. Then set the overall image brightness.

Lightroom – Exposure vs. Brightness

Here is a video for ligthroom 4, there is no help out for it at the moment but the video is helpful to explain the features.
What's New in Lightroom 4 Beta - Develop Module Advancements | Adobe TV

Last edited by Anvh; 01-27-2012 at 03:08 PM.