Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can anyone recommend resources for learning to work with color in post?

Hello,

I'm at a point where I feel like I need to learn a lot more about how to work with colors in the post processing stage. Please feel free to have a look at my gallery images for some examples of my work. I'm interested in books, websites, blogs, etc...pretty much anything that will help me learn how to get the most out of my images.

At the moment, I use Gimp for most of my images, and use UFRaw to process raw files. I'm not blaming the software, though...I just haven't developed my skills as much as I would like.

Any help will be appreciated.

01-11-2012, 05:04 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the book "Color Confidence" by Tim Grey. The book is focused on color management and as such I've found it very helpful. However, it has a lot of Photoshop examples and, like you, I don't use Photoshop. Still, I can recommend it, especially if you aren't up to speed on color spaces, profiles, etc.
01-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'm okay with those two concepts. I feel like I need help seeing what is happening with the colors in my photos, and understanding what would make them look more appealing. I look at some of the photos in this forum, and I have no idea how the photographer could have produced the colors.

I do have access to photoshop, and many of the basic features of photoshop are mimicked in gimp, so I wouldnt shy away from a book that primarily uses photoshop for examples.
01-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't know if I'll be able to help or not, but you might get more help if you post (or link) examples of what you're dissatisfied with in your own shots, and what you see in others' work that you'd like to achieve.

01-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You're absolutely right. I'll have to go through my images and find some specific examples.