Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I Now Have an Extra Net Book, Trying to Find a Use For It

Ok folks, I now have this netbook laying around and I am trying to find a use for it. It use to be my daughters and it is only two years old and in mint condition. She stopped using it because it was slow and kept locking up and basically wouldn't work like she wanted it to. I never messed with it but since I bought her a new laptop she just gave it back to me.
Well, I sat down one night and started messing with it, it was totally locked up and unresponsive. I finally got it to reboot in safe mode and I proceeded to clean out all the junk on it, after a couple of hours I managed to get it running like a fine tuned machine.
It is a Samsung netbook with an Intel Atom 1.6 ghz processor, 1 gig of RAM, and a 200 GB hard drive, Windows starter edition. Ya it is really slow and do to it only having i gig of ram I find it is referencing the hard drive a lot, but I managed to get it to work fairly fast by keeping in mind that this is really not a multitasking computer. I however have more memory on order and will be maxing it out to 2 gig of RAM which I think will free up some memory intensive resources,,,what do you all think?
I have managed to get microsoft office to work on it along with my email program, but THAT is all I am going to really have on it for now.
Some options are going to just carry it with me and use it for small tasks here and there on the road, it would be a great little unit to take along on vacations and such, something small put in the carry on luggage. Another big option is to basically take it along in my camera bag and use it for storing shot images between memorycard swaps and for temporary backup of the SD cards as well. I have downloaded Fastone image viewer so that I can peruse through all my shots and basically delete the ones that I dont want, I can also just hook it up to my external drive when I get home and transfer my shots for backup purposes.
So what I am getting at is- do you all think this will be worth pursuing? it seems like a perfectly capably little unit for that purpose.
I am upgrading my main laptop from 4 gigs of RAM to 8 gigs, taking the two 2gig RAM modules from that and upgrading my wifes laptop with those, and taking the one 2gig module out of hers and putting it into this little net book(they all have identical specs on the memory modules), so technically I really am not putting any money into it.
Fastone seems to work really well on it as well, it pulls up images fairly quickly when I tested it out on an SD card taken directly from my K-x.
I have put my main laptop back on my desk(it is a huge 17'' laptop that I do all my graphic design work on) and over the last week I have done most of my email, internet surfing, and card game playing on this little netboook, and other than it trying to reference the hard drive once in a while, it is chugging along just nicely AND it doean't have the memory upgraded yet!.
Thanks in advance for all your advice.

Last edited by BirdDude007; 01-22-2012 at 07:08 AM.
01-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use a 4-year old Netbook with similar specs for all of my travels. It runs Windows XP and a full version of Microsoft Office. It also runs Lightroom 2 just fine. It is slow, but it is great to copy all my images from the camera every night for backup and do a quick preview with minor adjustments (white balance, crop, exposure and sharpening) in Lightroom. FastStone work well for quick image view.

It is also a great controller for tethering shooting, scanning slides, printing, etc.

And with 8.5 hours battery life is a great music and video player for long flights.
01-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Using a net book isn't so different from using a pad. They're really not meant for heavy duty work, just net and easy stuff. They're great for traveling and using it to store photos between jobs sounds good to me. What's on the thing OS-wise? If you're running some flavor of Win 7 you might want to step back down to XP. Win 7 uses a lot more memory for the mundane. XP may make it run a bit better and tax your memory less. That's what I did on my notebook and it did make a really nice difference.
01-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For Mother's Day we gave my wife a little Samsung N135 with the same processor.
I heard these were real dogs with Windows 7 installed so I chose the XP version.
It was pretty fast right out of the box even with most of the bloatware installed.
Now upgraded to 2 GB of RAM it's easily as fast as our other computers.

Chris

01-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #5

XP or Linux + Max RAM and it'll do well enough as a travel/transfer pics device.
You could look into a faster HD, but I'd go with the above before deciding if you need/want to spend more on a HD for it.
01-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #6

I ran Easy Peasy on my four year old netbook, it's a really nice, free Linux option:

Netbook OS | EasyPeasy - Operating System for Netbooks

Doubling the RAM will make a large difference, I did that as well.

The other thought I had was find a way to detach the screen and turn it into some kind of a digital photo display.
01-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an Acer netbook running Win XP. It's still doing the job I bought it for and that's a lightweight travel computer that I can use to check email and other things along with the ability to load and view my photos. I'm only running Picasa on it for my photos and it does the job. I can load my photos, view them and do some limited editing. The shots are large enough in full screen mode. The keyboard is really too small for typing. I have watched Netflix streams on it also. At this time, I still think they are a better and more versatile travel choice for my needs than the current crop of tablets although the next generation of tablets coming out look promising if they live up to the hype, especially the Windows 8 tablets coming in about a year.