Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #1

Looking for Pentax K-r Camera Calibration Profile for Lightroom

Hi,

I'm shooting in DNG on my Pentax K-r and I'm using Lightroom 3.x for photo cataloging and processing. I'm looking for a camera calibration profile for the Pentax K-r so that I may apply it to all my DNGs since I would like my DNGs to appear as close in color/contrast, etc. as when I shoot in JPEG.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can obtain a Pentax K-r camera profile (in .dcp format) for Lightroom? I don't have a color checker so I'm not able to create an accurate enough .dcp using the Adobe DNG Profile Editor. I'm looking for a .dcp file like @switters has provided on this post.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer.

Cheers,

Anoop

01-31-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I would do is put the raw file in the Pentax utility, apply a JPEG profile, and then create your Adobe profile based on that. The Pentax software does exactly what your camera does as far as "custom image" settings go.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

In development module go to calibration and chose "embeded" that's the profile Pentax embeded into the RAW that's the closest you can come colour wise.
For saturation, vibrance and contrast that's something you need to do yourself.
01-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hi @Adam, thanks for the tip but I'm not sure I understand. Where can I find this "Pentax utility" and how do I convert the JPEG profile that I would apply in the utility into a .dcp file that I can use in Lightroom?

01-31-2012, 11:44 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
In development module go to calibration and chose "embeded" that's the profile Pentax embeded into the RAW that's the closest you can come colour wise.
For saturation, vibrance and contrast that's something you need to do yourself.
Hi @Anvh, thanks for the suggestion. Just to clarify, you're saying that "Embedded" is the closest I can come to replicating the colour achieved if shooting in JPEG ? If this is the case, then I might ask a silly question....is it worth shooting in RAW if I have to spend all this time post processing to get the same colour replication that I saw on the preview screen on the back of my camera ? Or am misunderstanding something?
01-31-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax Digital Camera Utility should come on a CD together with your camera, and it can be downloaded from Pentax if you need it (here: Software Downloads : Support & Service : PENTAX). You would need to make your profile manually by observing changes,etc.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-01-2012, 04:26 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by ashankar Quote
I don't have a color checker so I'm not able to create an accurate enough .dcp using the Adobe DNG Profile Editor.
Are there any photo studios near you that have it?
If yes then you can take your dog/friend/spouse for a photo session and in the process also make a profile for your camera (It will of course be only accurate in lighting close to studio lights - that means normal daylight, but it is certainly not worse than using a photo shot with someone elses camera in some random lighting).

02-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Just to clarify, you're saying that "Embedded" is the closest I can come to replicating the colour achieved if shooting in JPEG ?
Yes, in my experience "embedded" profile within LR 3.x gives almost identical result as the camera jpg using "Natural" image mode. There are minor, slight differences if you look at the two images at the same time, but it's as close as you can get in the 3rd party software.
02-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi @Anvh, thanks for the suggestion. Just to clarify, you're saying that "Embedded" is the closest I can come to replicating the colour achieved if shooting in JPEG ? If this is the case, then I might ask a silly question....is it worth shooting in RAW if I have to spend all this time post processing to get the same colour replication that I saw on the preview screen on the back of my camera ? Or am misunderstanding something?
If you use Embedded in Lightroom, the software uses the settings that you have dialed into your camera for conversions.
Conversely, you can make a profile yourself by doing the settings manually on one file and saving those settings.
As far as a colour checker goes, what is wrong with your eyes? Take some pictures that have memory colours on them (blue sky, green grass) and adjust until they look right. Far to many people get their shorts tied up in having to get their numbers absolutely accurate. Photography is a visual medium, it's about what we see, not about how well we can do algebra.
The only time you should need a colour checker is if you are doing scientific or product photography where the colour has to be absolutely exact, in which case you will some additional equipment, such as a densitometer.
02-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Wheatfield answered your question.

Besides that the LCD screen of the camera is not calibrated so even a JPG will look different at home on your computer.
02-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you for all the replies! This is a really great forum...

From the responses shared, here's what I'll try:
- I'll shoot an image in DNG + JPEG.
- Then apply the Embedded profile in to the DNG using LR 3.x
- get both JPEG and modified DNG printed and compare the two with the naked eye.

If I have any issues, I'll be sure to ask for your help.
02-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #12

Hi guys,

I don't seem to get the 'Embedded' option in Camera Calibration, I only get Adobe Standard. Any ideas why this is? I am also using a Pentax K-R and LR3, I am shooting in PEF and not converting to DNG.

Do I need to convert to DNG to see the embedded option? can someone maybe send me the embedded profile?

Cheers

Alex
02-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #13

Ok so I've just read here - Lightroom camera profile - big difference [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review that you have to be shooting in DNG to get the embedded option. Apparently you can extract the embedded profile from the DNG. Any chance someone could give this a try and send it over to me? Would be very helpful :-)

Thanks