Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2008, 06:39 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
It looks like a winner! I especially like the temperature reading, I did not know the camera HAD a temperature sensor. This is very useful for Astrophotography where heat generated noise is a big problem and the temperature rise from 100% duty cycle causes images to degrade rapidly for each successive exposure. I can now better decide on the cool down time to allow between shots.

Sure doesn't look like a Windows style program, it lacks the menu bar across the top but I soon found what I was looking for.

I'm looking forward to an update to version 1.
I sure like the XML definition files. Easy to add new tags. The ability to export-import EXIF and/or IPTC-NAA data is also pretty cool. All in all a well written tight program. Kudos to Meister Duttke.

01-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link Rickster. Looks a little better than Opanda even though it's in Beta and its not available the the browser context menu.

Does any one know if there is a EXIF reader for the FileExplorer?
01-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Thanks for the link Rickster. Looks a little better than Opanda even though it's in Beta and its not available the the browser context menu.

Does any one know if there is a EXIF reader for the FileExplorer?
Check out the Settings menu.

Explorer integration... Integrates PhotoME into the Windows Explorer context menu, for those file types supported by PhotoME.

Web browser integration... Integrates PhotoME into the web browser context menu. Shows the metadata of images embedded in a website.
01-02-2008, 02:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I did and nothing in the context menu - I'm using IE7 and shut it down several times so shouldn't be having any problems.

01-02-2008, 04:59 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I did and nothing in the context menu - I'm using IE7 and shut it down several times so shouldn't be having any problems.
Works fine with IE7 for me. Make sure IE7 is not running when you fire off the Add to IE Context Menu option in PhotoME Settings.

Then right click on an image in your browser and then select 'Open IMage in PhotoME ...'

Why are you using IE7? eeeeeeyeww!!!
01-02-2008, 05:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Opera support would be nice.
01-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
Why are you using IE7? eeeeeeyeww!!!
Because I like it - lol

Thanks for your help, everything's working fine now. This is so much better than Opanda which I could never get running in explorer unless I get the upgrade AND this actually gives me the name of the lense I used.

Thanks again, GREAT link and software.

01-03-2008, 02:26 AM   #23

Hello!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Opera support would be nice.
Please check this page: Opera Menu Extension. :-)
(Make sure to read the "important note")

QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
Sure doesn't look like a Windows style program, it lacks the menu bar across the top but I soon found what I was looking for.
I'm always interested in the opinions of users - only with feedback I can improve the program.
Is it really important to have an Windows menu bar?
I thought to have the menu on the left is easier to use, because you can open and save images with just one click instead of 2 clicks in a Windows menu bar ("File > File open")

QuoteOriginally posted by Reps Quote
... I guess. It is the sensor built into every LiON battery, they just monitor battery temp during charge to avoid overheat
Like mattdm wrote, sensor noise increase with the temperature. That's why it could be interesting for Pentax to monitor the sensor temperature.
Additionally there is a extra block with battery informations. If it would be the temperature of the battery, this information would be most likely located in this block.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Lots of useless data mixed with the few uselful ones :-(. Hopefully you can turn off some of it.
It's hard for me to decide which data are useful for the user, and which data are useless.
For one, the informations about the battery could be useful, for others it could be useless - that's why I show all informations and let the user decide which informations he want to see.

Additionally to this, there are tag-suppression functions in the options menu, which allow the user to hide groups of tags, which he don't want to see - this feature will be improved in future versions, using the feedback I get from the users. A search/filter function will be also implimented in one of the next versions to find tags easily.

Cu, Jens
01-03-2008, 04:04 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jens D. Quote
Hello!

Please check this page: Opera Menu Extension. :-)
(Make sure to read the "important note")

I'm always interested in the opinions of users - only with feedback I can improve the program.
I thought to have the menu on the left is easier to use, because you can open and save images with just one click instead of 2 clicks in a Windows menu bar ("File > File open")

Like mattdm wrote, sensor noise increase with the temperature. That's why it could be interesting for Pentax to monitor the sensor temperature.
Additionally there is a extra block with battery informations. If it would be the temperature of the battery, this information would be most likely located in this block.

It's hard for me to decide which data are useful for the user, and which data are useless.
For one, the informations about the battery could be useful, for others it could be useless - that's why I show all informations and let the user decide which informations he want to see.

Additionally to this, there are tag-suppression functions in the options menu, which allow the user to hide groups of tags, which he don't want to see - this feature will be improved in future versions, using the feedback I get from the users. A search/filter function will be also implimented in one of the next versions to find tags easily.

Cu, Jens
Jens, nice to see you on this forum.
I've used your program for some time now.

Keep up the good work!

- Bert
01-03-2008, 04:27 AM   #25
Veteran Member

The battery info is definitely useful to me. Thanks.
01-03-2008, 05:24 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Welcome Jens, are you switching from Nikon to Pentax then - LOL

Kidding aside, if only Pentax took the same interest in their users we would be one happy lot.
01-03-2008, 05:34 AM   #27

Jens, good to see you're worried about your users! I like your program, keep up the good work! I've found in-camera temperature reading quite useful...

So a little info on temperature tolerance of my GX-10. Yesterday I went to shoot in a small town, one of the religion centers of Russian Orthodox Church. Shoot about 3-4 hours in row, with -9 C temperature outside. I kept the camera in my hand all the time, was not warming it at all. All went OK, camera indured that. Using PhotoMe I've checked in-camera temperature, it ranged from +3 to -3. So I guess camera itself produces enough heat to endure up to -10 C temp easily...
01-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow! Thanks!
01-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello,

The Menu bar is not important to me and I like your program. Some people would be upset that PhotoME does not, "look like a Window's program." The File, Edit, View,..., Help menu bar is an industry standard. I'd bet some of the readers just looked up at the top of their browser and saw: File, Edit, View,..., Help .

In the MAC world some good programs have been scorned when they deviated even a tiny bit from the Apple standard. Some of the very few non-Windows user interfaces I use on my PC came from the MAC world. PanoramaMaker by Arcsoft comes to mind, it has the look of a MAC program.
01-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With PhotoME providing the ability to read the camera's temperature I re-visited a noise test I performed last summer. I'm surprised at the temps reported! I was testing my astronomy camera, a K110D, to see how much noise increased with time. The test included a run of six 1 minute images with a lens cap on, the noise increased 6 to 1 in just over 6 minutes. PhotoME reports the starting temperature at 22 C, ending temp as 25 C. Either my theory of heat buildup causing the noise is wrong or Pentax is measuring case temp, not sensor temp! Does anyone know where this secret sensor is mounted?

Like Snowcat reported, the temperature remains fairly steady with time. A recent series of long exposures with 33% duty cycle with the K110D on my telescope stayed close to 5 C for over an hour.