Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-24-2012, 05:15 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I'm also new to trying my hand at HDR ... I made the mistake of thinking my newly purchased LR4 would include such tools, but it does not. Turns out Photoshop Essentials 9 (which I got bundled with a scanner) does have rudimentary HDR tools - go figure. Aparently my K-r will not do in-camera HDR unless I shoot just .jpg ... I store both the .jpg and RAW (DNG) formats on my card. .jpg for quick looks and "snapshot" type photos and RAW for producing something better (and I am convinced I can do better than my K-r's .jpg engine).

Okay, before I jump into acquiring better HDR tools, I need to figure out if this is even realistic for how I often shoot. Here are my questions-
#1- How critical is a tripod if I shoot with automatic bracketing? I often spot something and either don't have a tripod, or if if I did, the 'moment' isn't going to last for me to setup and breakdown a tripod. I'm pretty steady, but certainly not tripod steady.
#2- What if the main subject is moving - could be as simple as a gentle breeze or a deer walking across a field?

08-24-2012, 05:46 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use photomatics which is very good and inexpensive. Or i use adobe CS4. ( File... Automate... Merge to HDR ) A lot of people do not even know its there ! Photomatics works great with DNG files too.
08-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
I use photomatics which is very good and inexpensive. Or i use adobe CS4. ( File... Automate... Merge to HDR ) A lot of people do not even know its there ! Photomatics works great with DNG files too.
That's fine. I'll look to figure out which tools after I figure out if it is worthwhile to spend any money on HDR tools. First I need answers to my two questions.

Thanks-
08-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Both CS4 and Photomatics have an auto align function ! It has its limits of course but will allow for careful hand held shots. HDR is not really for moving subjects though.

08-24-2012, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

More food for thought for you.... You can use a single image in photomatics and produce results like this in tone mapping !

08-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #21
Veteran Member

From my personal experience
Question 1) Yes, you can hand hold and bracket if you use a decent shutter speed - if the software used has an auto align function (as mentioned Photomatix as an example has this feature)
Question 2) Depends on software used and also shutter speeds used - 5 shots in quick succession will have less subject movement. HDR tools such as Photomatix have "de-ghosting" options

Two HDR shots, both taken handheld with RAW exposures blended in Photomatix
All Saints' Bakewell | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Bluebell Woods Micheldever | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

08-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #22
Veteran Member

This one is done with CS5 and tonedmapped with NIK HDR plugin.

it's 3 shot deep and 3 shots wide (9 shots total) so a HDR and PANO in 1, done handheld. =]

08-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's one done with Photoshop

My problem with HDR it to avoid the hyper-real shots like westmil's and the too low contrast (lacking realistic shadows) of Anvh's image. It's tough to get HDR that doesn't look like HDR.
08-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
Here's one done with Photoshop

My problem with HDR it to avoid the hyper-real shots like westmil's and the too low contrast (lacking realistic shadows) of Anvh's image. It's tough to get HDR that doesn't look like HDR.

If you have LightRoom, try LRenfuse for realistic looking HDR.
08-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
the too low contrast (lacking realistic shadows) of Anvh's image. It's tough to get HDR that doesn't look like HDR.
That's what happen when you tone down the image to what the monitor can display, i can simply add more contrast/shadows to my photo but would that make it look better?
That's something personal.