Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HDR

Does Pentax digital camera utility 4 process HDR ?

I couldn't see it in the program.

02-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No. You need a third party program.
02-03-2012, 03:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's not very smart Mr Pentax.
Give me the ability to create HDR compositions, but not the software needed to process them.
02-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's a free one.

Luminance HDR

02-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
Does Pentax digital camera utility 4 process HDR ?

I couldn't see it in the program.
Give me the ability to create HDR compositions, but not the software needed to process them.
Pentax cameras create already-HDR-processed JPEGs that used HDR technology to get the look and extra dynamic range. There is no need for external processing software with this in-camera "HDR" output, and the Pentax-supplied software handles the JPEGs just fine.

If you want to combine your own individual exposures (say, from auto-bracketing), then you would need/want external software. I recommend Photomatix.

Last edited by panoguy; 02-03-2012 at 09:59 AM.
02-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The K5 can do it in camera. I'm not aware that any manufacturer provides HDR software with a camera. Most provided software is just the bare minimum to view and make some adjustments on your shots. Anything more is an extra purchase.
02-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The K5 can do it in camera. I'm not aware that any manufacturer provides HDR software with a camera. Most provided software is just the bare minimum to view and make some adjustments on your shots. Anything more is an extra purchase.
The software Pentax delivers is more then most do indeed, so we can't really complain about this.

02-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I know about the in camera HDR but didn't have time to set the camera up for these shots I want to process.

Thanks guys....that should be all the help I need

Cheers
02-06-2012, 03:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

There is a difference between what Pentax creates "HDR" image within the camera versus the huge amount of flexibility a TONE MAPPED HDR image can be rendered with the right software.

Try Dynamic Photo HDR. There is a free version (Leaves a water mark on image) to see if you like the software. You can buy it if you like it as a download from their website. It is the easiest one and produces very pleasing results, IMO.

Jason
02-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #10

Hi all,
I don't know how to make a HDR picture, I have been in the beach which have very nice scenes at the dawn and dusk but I could not capture them. Can somebody help? I'm a new pentax user.

Thanks in advance!

DLQHMD
02-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlqhmd Quote
Hi all,
I don't know how to make a HDR picture, I have been in the beach which have very nice scenes at the dawn and dusk but I could not capture them. Can somebody help? I'm a new pentax user.

Thanks in advance!

DLQHMD
Two questions. Which camera? and Do you have the manual?
02-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Any camera with exposure control has the ability to create HDR compositions.
The software required to actually produce an HDR image is way beyond the scope of the very basic raw converters that come packed with cameras.
02-29-2012, 03:14 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Two questions. Which camera? and Do you have the manual?
I have a K-r, but don't have its manual.
I found the K-r has the HDR feature, tried this feature but the pics look not very good!

Thanks for helping!

Last edited by dlqhmd; 02-29-2012 at 03:15 AM. Reason: error typing
02-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Manuals are online at Pentax, go to support and you find it.

What you want to do is shoot in RAW (DNG) and use Bracketing, I believe you can set that to one press in the custom menu.
What i normally do is use 3 or 5 photos with 2 EV spacing that means you get one shot correctly exposed 2 over exposed and 2 under exposed.
Depending on the HDR software you might need to convert the RAW to TIFF and from there you can import those 5 raw/tiff and compress them in one file.

There is much software on the market that you just need to play with it yourself to figure the rest out.
03-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Manuals are online at Pentax, go to support and you find it.

What you want to do is shoot in RAW (DNG) and use Bracketing, I believe you can set that to one press in the custom menu.
What i normally do is use 3 or 5 photos with 2 EV spacing that means you get one shot correctly exposed 2 over exposed and 2 under exposed.
Depending on the HDR software you might need to convert the RAW to TIFF and from there you can import those 5 raw/tiff and compress them in one file.

There is much software on the market that you just need to play with it yourself to figure the rest out.
Thanks for helping!
I'm trying the photomatix 4.1. will show the pics later.