Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2006, 08:52 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Train Photography in the Post 9/11

Yes its sad what 9/11 has done to trainwatching and photography.

I use to have full run of the Hinkle Yard near Hermiston, Oregon where my father worked for almost 20 years. But since 9/11 UP no longer allows the activities even to a ex-employee or to the son of a ex-employee.

But a few things can be done to keep the railroads from stopping your photographic efforts.

First, make sure you do not enter Railroad property.The shot from other day was taken from a parking lot of a bar near the tracks. General rule. You stay off their property, they can not kick you off from taking photos. There are exceptions to that rule in some states.

If a police confront you, be respectful and obey their directions. There is big fear in this country of photography near railroads, shipping, and industrial sites now. I have been confronted once, my militray ID and then I also was working as a part time police officer so that badge helped me. But generally if your friendly and explain your hobby.. the cops leave you alone, but if you get unruley with any sort of attitude.. the cops will respond in kind.

Most train crews are FRIENDLY to the extreme. I once got a ride on a local freight by taking pictures of the crew switching some cars at a warehouse. But I understand that the Norfolk and Southern has strict rules for employees to report photographers but I never have confirmed that story. I always get a wave from traincrews when I take photos. One user in the Post Your Own photo thread has mentioned that the New York Subway system has a zero tolerance policy of photography with confesication of equipment. So caution is the word if unsure of the local laws.

Trainphotography is fun. Especially if you like the transportation of goods.

01-03-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I am gonna try and hit an old abandoned train track area tomorrow morning. I went out and got me a tripod and a monopod, figure that is a good place to test them out.
01-04-2007, 11:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

One user in the Post Your Own photo thread has mentioned that the New York Subway system has a zero tolerance policy of photography with confesication of equipment. So caution is the word if unsure of the local laws.

Which flies in the face of the Photographers Bill of Rights. http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm
NY subway is a public place. If it is fact that *they* would confiscate equipment, that is a sad state of affairs indeed.
01-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kitanis Quote
Yes its sad what 9/11 has done to trainwatching and photography.

I use to have full run of the Hinkle Yard near Hermiston, Oregon where my father worked for almost 20 years. But since 9/11 UP no longer allows the activities even to a ex-employee or to the son of a ex-employee.

But a few things can be done to keep the railroads from stopping your photographic efforts.

First, make sure you do not enter Railroad property.The shot from other day was taken from a parking lot of a bar near the tracks. General rule. You stay off their property, they can not kick you off from taking photos. There are exceptions to that rule in some states.

If a police confront you, be respectful and obey their directions. There is big fear in this country of photography near railroads, shipping, and industrial sites now. I have been confronted once, my militray ID and then I also was working as a part time police officer so that badge helped me. But generally if your friendly and explain your hobby.. the cops leave you alone, but if you get unruley with any sort of attitude.. the cops will respond in kind.

Most train crews are FRIENDLY to the extreme. I once got a ride on a local freight by taking pictures of the crew switching some cars at a warehouse. But I understand that the Norfolk and Southern has strict rules for employees to report photographers but I never have confirmed that story. I always get a wave from traincrews when I take photos. One user in the Post Your Own photo thread has mentioned that the New York Subway system has a zero tolerance policy of photography with confesication of equipment. So caution is the word if unsure of the local laws.
It is sad. I used to think Uncle Pete was bad, but I believe Nazi Southern is worse. Shortlines usually aren't a problem. Of course, the real thing is, if you can see their camera, they're probably not a threat, what terrorist would want to reveal them self ? Trust me, they'd be using a cameraphone.

QuoteQuote:
Trainphotography is fun. Especially if you like the transportation of goods.
It's railfanning! Get it right!

Find Railfan Pictures on TrainBoard!

01-19-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about this?

I've been meaning to post this for awhile.

Attachment 700

Last edited by tranq78; 04-10-2007 at 09:31 PM.