Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photoshop CS5 vs Elements 9

Hi all, I would just like to know if it's worth getting Photoshop CS5 if you already have Elements. Amazon has it (some of you probably got the email with the code, too) for $400 off, which makes it around $250.

However, that's still a big chunk of change that I could put towards a lens or lighting or whatever. I barely know the capabilities of Elements and mostly use Lightroom for all my processing/cataloging with the exception of resizing, some cloning/healing functions, and a bit of sharpening occasionally. I know that an update for Lightroom is coming shortly too, which is another bit of money to spend.

I have read a couple articles about the differences between CS5 and Elements, but not being totally familiar with layering and compositing, etc, etc, they don't say much to me except that CS5 has more advanced capability. I guess I'm just concerned that I will miss out on a great deal and regret it later. I wonder if this is something that is offered regularly?

Mostly I am a hobbyist photographer. I shoot raw and enjoy post processing my photos, but I'm just not sure if I need all this extra functionality. Any input from folks in the same boat or who have experience with this software would be appreciated! Many thanks!

02-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Instead of asking why not download the trail version to see for yourself if it can make differnce for you or not?
02-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Instead of asking why not download the trail version to see for yourself if it can make differnce for you or not?
I'm on a 5GB monthly mobile broadband plan. It's the only way I can get high speed Internet. Just can't do that huge download.
02-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In same boat... Just ordered Elements/Premier 10 for $74 (upgrader from 8), but I keep wondering if I should be on Photo shop. Last time I researched it seemed there was little relevant difference, but I am getting more sophisticated in my use, so...

I am using Lightroom for 99% of my work, and I am planning to add Topaz Adjust as well as a B&W plug-in. Considering how little I use elements (now), I have a hard time justifying adding Photoshop,

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Significant learning curve, and supposedly different interface IMO would make it difficult to make a "quick" comparison. There is nothing I am currently missing in Lightroom/Elements, but you don't know what you don't know, and my guess is that only a significant investment in time will reveal true benefits of CS5 over Elements. It has taken me a long time to truly appreciate all the great things Lightroom can do, for example. Also I would be reluctant to install CS5 on top of Elements/Lightroom, and rely on no interference, though that may be groundless

02-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You make good points, Henrik! I agree with what you're saying. I feel like we are both in the exact same boat.

Despite the great deal, I am leaning towards NOT getting CS5 just because I use Elements for only about 5% of my photo work. But like you said, you don't know what you don't know. I suppose if I ever get sophisticated enough to be able to use the advanced functionality, I'll just have to wait for another great deal.

Still would like to know the practical differences between them in layman's terms.
02-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Too bad that isn't an option then.

QuoteOriginally posted by HenrikDK Quote
Significant learning curve, and supposedly different interface IMO would make it difficult to make a "quick" comparison. There is nothing I am currently missing in Lightroom/Elements, but you don't know what you don't know, and my guess is that only a significant investment in time will reveal true benefits of CS5 over Elements. It has taken me a long time to truly appreciate all the great things Lightroom can do, for example. Also I would be reluctant to install CS5 on top of Elements/Lightroom, and rely on no interference, though that may be groundless
There is indeed a learning curve but you have a month the time, it depends on the time you can spend on it but it should do to get an idea if it's for you or not.
We can say all we want here how good and bad we find it but that doesn't mean it should be the same for him.

You install CS5 sperately so they aren't on top of eachother but along each other.
It does however integrate into lightroom though but never heard that going wrong.
02-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Unfortunately I threw away the wong disc for Elements 9... and am therefore using an ancient Photoshop CS. So old I can't even use it to upgrade with.

Used to be, the main thing I missed in Elements was the curves, though there was a download that would help with that. Oh, and masks, though there are less convenient work-arounds for them. The more modern versions have some automation and work-aids lacking in older versions... but really, I find I get by just fine with CS or even Elements 2.0. And I went through a phase of playing / learning quite a lot, doing photo based digital art.

In other words, I think Elements is more than sufficient for nearly everything one wants to do with photography, and easier to learn to boot.

02-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Unfortunately I threw away the wong disc for Elements 9... and am therefore using an ancient Photoshop CS. So old I can't even use it to upgrade with.

Used to be, the main thing I missed in Elements was the curves, though there was a download that would help with that. Oh, and masks, though there are less convenient work-arounds for them. The more modern versions have some automation and work-aids lacking in older versions... but really, I find I get by just fine with CS or even Elements 2.0. And I went through a phase of playing / learning quite a lot, doing photo based digital art.

In other words, I think Elements is more than sufficient for nearly everything one wants to do with photography, and easier to learn to boot.
Thanks so much, Nesster! This is very helpful info.
02-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
if you "barely know the capabilities of Elements", then I would not get CS5. One idea, look for Corel's Paintshop x4 on sale. Paintshop + Elements make a good combination, and is less than CS5.
02-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Elements does quite a bit.
Exposure, contrast, rotation, cropping, cloning, lasso/magic selector, layer masks, batch processing, remember last conversion, watermarks ...organizer (I never use), tags (I never use) etc...what else do I need? Nothing so far.
02-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, dmfw and SpecialK, for your input. I believe I've decided not to get CS5. The forum has reasoned with me and saved me $250!
02-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #12

Web search on "photoshop cs5 vs elements 10".

This article (Compare Photoshop Editions: CS5 vs. Elements 10 vs. Lightroom 3 | ProDesignTools) lists of features Elem. 10 does not contain vs. CS5.
02-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

...that said, when I saw the post about Amazon giving a $400 coupon for CS5... and then they dropped the price on top of that, I ended up buying CS5 for $198 yesterday. Instead of getting the latest Elements. But I'm reasonably familiar with photoshop now, and there may be something useful in PS that isn't in Elements. I still believe that Elements alone is plenty sufficient for my needs.
02-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Anyone have a code they are not going to use? PM me pleeeeeeeese.
02-13-2012, 04:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Anyone have a code they are not going to use? PM me pleeeeeeeese.

If you have an amazon account, it's not too difficult to get one. Simply go and browse the photoshop product pages a couple of times and presto you'll have a code in your email the following morning.
The price has gone back up, but there again things seem to be fluid, sometimes amazon seems to drop the price to where with the coupon you're practically paying the educational price.