Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Future of DNG

Adobe offering new reasons to get DNG religion | Crave - CNET

Does anyone know if you can update the DNG format that you camera captures in via firmware? As Adobe improves the capabilities and speed of DNG can people apply any of it to existing cameras? Or are all the improvements on the processing side and have no impact on the capture/camera side?

02-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm sure Pentax could update the version of file format if they had a desire to do that. I assume at least some of the changes are on the file creation side. I kind of doubt they would put forth the effort though, especially in existing camera bodies.

All I know is that support for DNG is one of the reasons I like using Pentax.
02-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, K-01 eliminates PEF and supports only DNG for RAW (and of course jpeg)
02-10-2012, 03:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
FWIW, K-01 eliminates PEF and supports only DNG for RAW (and of course jpeg)
Makes perfect sense.

Jason

02-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am a big fan of DNG. Having a camera that actually captures in DNG is an advantage. I am hoping more companies adopt the standard. I would love to see Fuji and Olympus both offer the ability to capture with DNG.
02-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I am hoping more companies adopt the standard.
actually now much less companies do... Samsung stopped and as Ricoh acquired Pentax you have 2 less... in a tiny DNG world that will be 50% reduction !!!
02-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For those of us who use Lightroom and Photoshop, using DNG makes sense. I think that problems will arise from other imaging software vendors if they are forced to license DNG from Adobe just to stay in business. What about open source software? I imagine that might change if DNG becomes an ISO standard. One of the problems now is that buyers of a new camera may have to wait several months for the software world to catch up to the RAW format their camera uses. I don't know about the other guys software but if I had to use the Pentax software, I would just shoot JPEGs.
02-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
For those of us who use Lightroom and Photoshop, using DNG makes sense. I think that problems will arise from other imaging software vendors if they are forced to license DNG from Adobe just to stay in business. What about open source software? I imagine that might change if DNG becomes an ISO standard. One of the problems now is that buyers of a new camera may have to wait several months for the software world to catch up to the RAW format their camera uses. I don't know about the other guys software but if I had to use the Pentax software, I would just shoot JPEGs.
Digital Negative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DNG is owned by Adobe, but it is an open format. I remember skimming though their PDF on specifications a few months ago (I wanted to write an android app that read DNGs...looks like a lot of effort, haha).

02-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When new cameras come out, older proprietary raw formats do not get supported in older versions of Adobe software, but DNG is always supported. Unfortunately, Pentax DNG files are uncompressed and about 25% larger than ones made by Lightroom. I shoot in PEF with my K-5, but use the free Adobe DNG converter to import my files, because Photoshop CS4 does not read the new PEF files. I'm current with Lightroom and that does read the files, but when I send a file to Photoshop, it will not read the K-5's PEFs. That's the reason why I import my files into Lightroom and convert to DNG. The old Photoshop can read them and they are about 25 MG each instead of the 20 MG DNG files the K-5 makes.
02-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
When new cameras come out, older proprietary raw formats do not get supported in older versions of Adobe software, but DNG is always supported. Unfortunately, Pentax DNG files are uncompressed and about 25% larger than ones made by Lightroom. I shoot in PEF with my K-5, but use the free Adobe DNG converter to import my files, because Photoshop CS4 does not read the new PEF files. I'm current with Lightroom and that does read the files, but when I send a file to Photoshop, it will not read the K-5's PEFs. That's the reason why I import my files into Lightroom and convert to DNG. The old Photoshop can read them and they are about 25 MG each instead of the 20 MG DNG files the K-5 makes.
Not fully true.
The DNG from the K10D and other early DNG pentax camera's are uncompressed but with the K5 they surely are compress but not so much as you do with the computer.

I also compress my DNG files further when importing just to save some room.