Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RAW: DNG or PEF?

Anybody can guide as to which RAW type I should use?

02-09-2012, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
On all Pentax DSLR that I currently use I always use PEF then convert into DNG during import into Lightroom on my laptop. The reason that I'm doing that is because PEF takes less space than DNG hence I can store more images in my memory card. However, PEF is Pentax proprietary format while DNG is more industry standard.
02-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm also curious. I've always used PEF but the K-01 only creates DNG. If this is the direction for the M processors, I need to learn alittle more about DNG.
02-09-2012, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
I do not regard one as 'better' than the other. However, the DNG format is an Adobe format. I happen to use Adobe software to process my photos, so using the Adobe format makes sense. The other thing to consider is that photos you take may be around for a really long time.
It makes sense to select a format that is likely to be around for a long time as well.

You can do you own guessing, but my guess is that the Adobe format is likely to have software that can read it longer than the alternative, but
my vote is for adobe here because it's used on several brands of cameras.

02-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
On all Pentax DSLR that I currently use I always use PEF then convert into DNG during import into Lightroom on my laptop. The reason that I'm doing that is because PEF takes less space than DNG hence I can store more images in my memory card. However, PEF is Pentax proprietary format while DNG is more industry standard.
is this really an issue with 32 gb memory cards????
02-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Older Pentax' used to compress PEF but not DNG. The K-r and K-5 compress DNG and the space savings is negligible given the size of memory cards. In my experience DNG is compatible with more software.
02-09-2012, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DNG is more compatible with software. Size difference is negligible, according to my tests about a 4% smaller size for PEF over DNG on the K-5. It also seems that Pentax is moving toward DNG as their standard so PEF may go away in the future. I have read that the K-01 only has DNG but I think that is unconfirmed as yet.

Either will work, pick what you want and stick with it. DNG works fine for me so that's what I use.

02-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The adjustments to PEF files are stored in a separate small (7k) file. Adjustments to DNGs are stored within the file itself. Operationally and image wise, not much difference.

There are several previous threads on the subject :-)
02-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

As others have said, DNG is compatible with more software, and older software as well as current. Buying a new camera body that supports DNG means not having to worry about a software update for your editor to handle the files. DNG is an open standard, so any application developer can take full advantage of it without jumping through proprietary hoops. There is no difference in quality between the two.
02-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
Inactive Account

DNG and AdobeRGB. if you're going to do any post processing why not just set it up in your camera to be in the format the programs use rather then have to convert it over just to open it for editing.
02-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Casper14 Quote
DNG and AdobeRGB. if you're going to do any post processing why not just set it up in your camera to be in the format the programs use rather then have to convert it over just to open it for editing.
raw files do not have a color space. sRGB and aRGB only effect jpegs from the camera.
02-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
is this really an issue with 32 gb memory cards????
I don't use big memory cards and don't recommend doing so. I always carry several 8G cards with me instead of one 32G. The reason is simple, don't put everything in the same basket. It's risk mitigation. With one 32G you could risk loosing 32G worth of priceless memories...with 8G then it's 8G you see the drill...
02-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #13
Inactive Account

"raw files do not have a color space. sRGB and aRGB only effect jpegs from the camera."
-original posted by enoeske

I wasn't saying it in the sense of have both settings simultaneously as much as I was saying no matter what you're shooting why not set-up your camera to the same format as the software you're going to use for post processing
02-10-2012, 03:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

No difference, unless you like to add superfluous steps within your processing workflow.

The cost of memory is so cheap nowadays, there is no decent argument to consider a PEF.

Jason
02-10-2012, 03:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The adjustments to PEF files are stored in a separate small (7k) file. Adjustments to DNGs are stored within the file itself. Operationally and image wise, not much difference.

There are several previous threads on the subject :-)
Several as in...many dozens...or more.

Jason