Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 10 worth $69

Saw it on Amazon for $69 w/ free shipping and was wondering if it was worth it. I'm currently only using Picasa.

02-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm going to give you an answer I've gotten a million times. The kind of answer that just leaves me wondering, "Why did they even answer me?" Here it goes:

It really depends what you want to do with it.

Now, with that out of the way, I'll try to be a little more helpful. I've had both versions of Elements 10 since they were released.

I'll start with Premiere Elements. I've had a lot of experience with video editing in the past, and I just don't like the way Premiere performs. There is a lot of other software out there that is better. Now if you're getting it just as a bonus because you want Photoshop Elements, then it's fine. It's good for basic stuff, but it's rendering abilities are painstakingly slow. I really don't use it. I've opened it maybe once or twice just to "give it another try" since I got it. I stick with other video editing software.

Photoshop Elements isn't really all that bad. Obviously, Photoshop is a lot more powerful, but if you just want to make some simple corrections, it is worth it. You can do a lot of the stuff that regular Photoshop can do such as: layering, color correction, filters, masks, etc. Some of the features such as the magic lasso, content aware healing brush, etc also work pretty well.

If you are planning on working with one picture at a time and want to do some fun things like putting your head on your friends' head, or cutting out the background so that you can convince your family you went to church instead of Cancun, then yeah it's worth it. There is also free software that can do these things such as GIMP and Paint.net. GIMP is actually more powerful that Photoshop Elements, while Paint.net is a little less powerful. If you have a blank slate with this type of software, Photoshop Elements is the easiest to use, followed by Paint.net, then GIMP. Since GIMP can be so powerful (if you know what you're doing), it can also get pretty complicated to use.

If you plan on working at a higher volume then it may not be worth it. Lightroom is probably better. Actually, Picassa is probably also better than Photoshop Elements (because it will also allow you to do basic fixes faster.) Lightroom is more powerful than Picassa.

So to summarize:

Planning on working with one picture at a time? Want to do stuff like cutting people's heads off? Photoshop Elements is a good choice.

Plan on working at a higher volume? Lightroom will be better.

Best advice I can give is to download the trial versions. If you like what Photoshop Elements can do, then buy it. If you realize that it's not what you want, simply uninstall it and forget about it. Hope that helps.
02-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes it is, particularly for editing. I ordered then canceled the LR deal, as it is geared more to cataloging and tags from the videos I watched. Elements can do the basics of that, although I do not use it that way. (Sunday night edit: Well, as of now I do).

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-20-2012 at 03:55 PM.
02-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my wife and I use it for the organizer, and I can drag and drop from elements to either photoshop or lightroom. makes things easier when you can see everything inside the folders at once.

I don't like the editor, but then again I have been using Photoshop since version 6

good luck on your choice

02-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I do all my importing, cataloging, RAW conversion, edits, and uploads with Elements 8 (and the included Adobe Camera Raw).

It is far more useful than Picasa - that post was a bit absurd.
02-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote
I do all my importing, cataloging, RAW conversion, edits, and uploads with Elements 8 (and the included Adobe Camera Raw).

It is far more useful than Picasa - that post was a bit absurd.
Not sure if you were referring to my post as being absurd. If so, how is it absurd? If not, sorry about assuming.
02-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
If you plan on working at a higher volume then it may not be worth it. Lightroom is probably better. Actually, Picassa is probably also better than Photoshop Elements (because it will also allow you to do basic fixes faster.) Lightroom is more powerful than Picassa.

So to summarize:

Planning on working with one picture at a time? Want to do stuff like cutting people's heads off? Photoshop Elements is a good choice..
The assertion that Elements is primarily effective for swapping peoples heads back and forth is absurd. While it does limit you to editing one photo at a time (as compared to Lightroom's batch edit features), the advantages over Picasa for RAW editing, layer and gradient masks, panorama stitching, local and global curves and contrast edits, highlight and shadow control (to name a few) are significant enough that the minor $70 outlay makes Elements a worthwhile purchase.

Hope that offered sufficient clarity.

02-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The assertion that Elements is primarily effective for swapping peoples heads back and forth is absurd. While it does limit you to editing one photo at a time (as compared to Lightroom's batch edit features), the advantages over Picasa for RAW editing, layer and gradient masks, panorama stitching, local and global curves and contrast edits, highlight and shadow control (to name a few) are significant enough that the minor $70 outlay makes Elements a worthwhile purchase.

Hope that offered sufficient clarity.
It does give clarification, however, Picasa now offers plugins that will allow you to do all of the things that you just mentioned. Some of those plugins involve a small monthly fee. I probably should have mentioned that in my initial post. They actually do a much better job, if you are doing batch editing, than Photoshop Elements does. Since the op is already using Picasa, those plugins might actually be a better choice for him.

I'm still not sure why you decided to refer my comment as absurd. Seems like it was a little unnecessary (unless you like being a jerk, in that case I guess it was necessary). If you disagree, you can try to provide the op some useful information instead of just going around throwing useless one liners (of course, unless that was your goal all along).

I'm not trying to start anything (I think you already did that), but you didn't really add anything to the discussion, I was actually trying to give the op choices and explain those choices with brevity. I'm not sure why you took offense to my comment about "swapping people's heads back and forth". Maybe you're a programmer for Adobe or something. If so, great work.
02-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I haven't used Picasa in over two years, since I purchased Elements. The interface and the effectiveness of the primary photographical adjustments (white balance, RAW editing, contrast, exposure) were far inferior at taht point. Perhaps they have improved, though I don't believe it has a robust RAW tool.

As for being a jerk, I was simply responding to your comments about swapping backgrounds to pretend you are at church, and swapping heads. Elements is equally at home - if not more so - as a serious photo editing tool. You gave your very generalized, brief opinion of the software and I simply responded in kind.

I'm certainly not a programmer for Adobe - they are a short second behind Garmin for worst consumer software support I've ever dealt with. That, more than any comparison to Picasa, might encourage me to look at another option.
02-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I haven't used Picasa in over two years, since I purchased Elements. The interface and the effectiveness of the primary photographical adjustments (white balance, RAW editing, contrast, exposure) were far inferior at taht point. Perhaps they have improved, though I don't believe it has a robust RAW tool.

As for being a jerk, I was simply responding to your comments about swapping backgrounds to pretend you are at church, and swapping heads. Elements is equally at home - if not more so - as a serious photo editing tool. You gave your very generalized, brief opinion of the software and I simply responded in kind.

I'm certainly not a programmer for Adobe - they are a short second behind Garmin for worst consumer software support I've ever dealt with. That, more than any comparison to Picasa, might encourage me to look at another option.
In that case, I may have acted in haste and apologize for any rudeness I may have provided. Who says the internet doesn't have happy endings?

I wouldn't make the switch back to Picassa (used to use it before getting a DSLR). I like Photoshop and prefer the fact that it offers more of an ability to customize.

My wife, on the other hand, has no interest in using Photoshop. I've showed her the basics, but she prefers the simplicity that Picasa offers. To be honest, it can actually do a pretty good job (with the added stuff). She likes it because everything is really user friendly.
02-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
My wife, on the other hand, has no interest in using Photoshop. I've showed her the basics, but she prefers the simplicity that Picasa offers. To be honest, it can actually do a pretty good job (with the added stuff). She likes it because everything is really user friendly.
Probably the most important point of the thread - you can usually download a trial version of Elements from Adobe and play with it for a while. That is probably the best course of action for the OP to make an informed decision.
02-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kwar Quote
Saw it on Amazon for $69 w/ free shipping and was wondering if it was worth it. I'm currently only using Picasa.
Worth it compared to what?

DPP is pretty good. I only use PE sometimes for correcting levels and curves, and for fixing little things prior to making a big print.
02-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Elements will do far more than Picasa. I started out with using Picasa as my main editing program when I first got my K10D. I had tried some other software but didn't like it and Picasa got recommended and really liked it. I bought Elements 6 on sale and it fixed some stuff that Picasa couldn't but I always liked Picasa for it's quick and simple workflow. I have since moved on to Lightroom and now use it for all my PP along with Elements 9. You can do a lot with Elements now and most of the plug ins you see advertised will work with it. The combination works for me but software is one of those things that 2 different people will have very different opinions of the same product. Download the free trials and use it for a month. BTW, I still have Picasa on my computer and still use it as my primary organizer and for posting online. Editing software is something that grows along with our photography. We joke about LBA but a lot of us have a lot invested in software also.
02-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Elements (no Premiere) is only 49.99 right now at Amazon. I would jump if I did not have it (v9) already.
02-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Elements (no Premiere) is only 49.99 right now at Amazon. I would jump if I did not have it (v9) already.
That is a pretty good deal. I think that at that price, there really is no reason to doubt the investment.