Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Photoshop Help

Hey guys,

I'm submitting some of my photos to the PENTAX Photo Gallery, but I'm running into problems, namely with RGB files edited in CS3. CS3 will only allow me to save edited RGB files as JPEGs with the "Save for Web Devices" function. The problem is that the PENTAX Photo Gallery requires EXIF data with all photo submissions, and the "Save for Web Devices" function seems to rid the photo of its EXIF. I can save edited black & whites and unedited RGBs as JPEGs no problem with the "Save As" command. Does anyone know how I can convert an edited RGB file to JPEG in CS3, while still preserving EXIF data? I'm desperate!

01-04-2008, 08:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Save as.. should always keep the EXIF intact.
01-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yeah, just use the save as, if there are specific things you need to do that the save for web does for you, like image size, dpi, colorspace, etc., just change those first, then do your save as and it should maintain all the exif data just fine.
01-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check the bit depth.... I've noticed that JPG is not a valid file format for saving 16bit images (in CS2 anyway). Convert the file to 8bit and then JPG should be available in the SAVE AS menu.

01-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Check the bit depth.... I've noticed that JPG is not a valid file format for saving 16bit images (in CS2 anyway). Convert the file to 8bit and then JPG should be available in the SAVE AS menu.
I converted from a 16-bit to an 8-bit color channel, and still nothing.

Let me explain again what I'm trying to do. I have a color PSD image that I want to convert to a JPEG, while still preserving EXIF. So far, CS3 only allows me to use the "Save for Web Devices" function for this particular file. It won't let me use the "Save As" function to convert to JPEG. However, it does allow me to convert black and white PSD images to JPEG using "Save As".

I don't get it.
01-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If the save as option is enabled then the bit depth is probably the problem. You said you changed it? I don't know what the problem could be. I will check it sometime tonight when I get home, I don't do it that way very often, usually I export everything from within LR, so I know how to do that for sure, I will have to see what the problem could be using CS3 when I get home.
01-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stafford588 Quote
I have a color PSD image <snip>
Do you have multiple layers within the image? PS likes you to flatten the image before it will outright let you save as a jpg.

01-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
Do you have multiple layers within the image? PS likes you to flatten the image before it will outright let you save as a jpg.
That could be the problem, but not likely, usually if it isn't flattened it will just pop up a warning telling you it will merge them together for you.
01-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yep. I forgot to flatten the image. Duh! Thanks for the help everyone!