Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
That kind of jpg ? Do you meen that size jpg ?
Such a low compresion, it makes little sense to me since the RAW file is almost just as large...

02-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Raw files are fine. I have CS4 on two different Pcs and both do the same though.
Ive looked everywhere to find if it can be altered but so far.... aaaagh !
Everything is set to max that I can see. I shall perhaps have another look,
but I dont think there is anything that can be done.
02-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

But why do you need such a low compression JPG, it just doesn't make any sense.

The DNG files i get with the K5 are around 18MB +/- 1MB so it's just ridiculous to use 14MB jpg's.
It doesn't make sense as for storage because the DNG is superior in quality and that for only 4MB more and using 14MB jpg for email or the internet doesn't make much sense either... so where do you use those 14MB jpg's for?
02-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mand Quote
I now realise that the K5 shows a jpeg on its screen after a photo is taken even if set to shoot in raw, or at least I think it does.
Also windows 7 live photo gallery with the fastpicture viewer codec for raw image also seems to show the embedded jpeg. I thought it was showing me the actual raw image.
I had the K5 set to portrait with added saturation and set to shoot raw, so initially I was very surprised how different the 'jpeg from raw via acr' looked compared to the in camera jpeg and what I thought was the raw image viewed on live photo gallery - now I know why.
You're correct.
Just turn B&W on in the camera and you know for sure because the actually RAW data is still in colour (always)

03-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
@ANVH
Stefan, to be honest you're right. I've been shooting RAW+ for years now and almost always use the raw files (I shoot PEF). Sometimes it is very handy to have a JPEG handy immediately to post on internet, email or print. Also, in the past I found that I couldn't match the in-camera NR without painstakingly processing converted raws with NeatImage. Nowadays, NeatImage has a CLI mode which allows it to be integrated in scripting solutions, including my own.

I'm actually going to discontinue the JPEGs in-camera entirely. After all, itś a doddle to extract the embedded JPEG out of the PEF or DNG files, for a whole directory in a few seconds if necessary with the -e switch of DCRAW if you merely want to post them on a blog or facebook. It's really not necessary anymore to store the 14Mb high-quality JPEG if your whole workflow is centered around raw.
03-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
@ANVH
Stefan, to be honest you're right. I've been shooting RAW+ for years now and almost always use the raw files (I shoot PEF). Sometimes it is very handy to have a JPEG handy immediately to post on internet, email or print. Also, in the past I found that I couldn't match the in-camera NR without painstakingly processing converted raws with NeatImage. Nowadays, NeatImage has a CLI mode which allows it to be integrated in scripting solutions, including my own.

I'm actually going to discontinue the JPEGs in-camera entirely. After all, itś a doddle to extract the embedded JPEG out of the PEF or DNG files, for a whole directory in a few seconds if necessary with the -e switch of DCRAW if you merely want to post them on a blog or facebook. It's really not necessary anymore to store the 14Mb high-quality JPEG if your whole workflow is centered around raw.
How is he right when I have clients that insist on big jpg files ?
Should I tell my clients they are ridiculous too then ?
03-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
How is he right when I have clients that insist on big jpg files ?
Should I tell my clients they are ridiculous too then ?
When correctly converted from raw, the resulting JPEG should definitely be big as well. I usually save jpegs at quality 98 and get between 8 and 14Mb per jpeg depending on level of detail, noise and amount of large monotonous areas in the image.

The 5Mb you noted must be caused by a low-quality setting in whatever raw converter you are using (probably ACR seeing you are using CS4). Regretfully I have never used ACR but all of the raw converters I've used to date, including Pentax's own, Bibble, Rawtherapee, Darktable and UFRaw allow you to set the preferred jpeg quality for saving, usually in the program's preference or options dialogs.

03-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Thats correct and Ive never had this problem before. But all the settings are set to high etc, so its just a workaround. but it works !
I just got annoyed being called ridiculous from sumone who has no idea about what I do etc lol
I use captureNX2 for most, but obviously, it wont reconise DNG... hence CS4
It is a bit odd though as it should do that. I shall have another look when I get chance lol
03-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
But why do you need such a low compression JPG, it just doesn't make any sense.

The DNG files i get with the K5 are around 18MB +/- 1MB so it's just ridiculous to use 14MB jpg's.
It doesn't make sense as for storage because the DNG is superior in quality and that for only 4MB more and using 14MB jpg for email or the internet doesn't make much sense either... so where do you use those 14MB jpg's for?
Ok.... So how does you knowing why i need big jpg files have any bearing on my CS4 giving me small files ?
What is it about you that you think your so great that if you cant understand or dont know why sumone needs something its ridiculous ?
Why do you think I wouldnt know all the simple things you quote ?
What is it you think is so great about you that you feel it normal to call a pro photographers needs ridiculous ?
What is it about you that you jump on a thread and address a post that asked no question and start to question some one
about some thing that has no bearing on the OPs thread ?
I understand this is a forum and we all have ideas and thoughts and even disagreements.
But to come on a thread and shout the odds demanding information, like you have a right to know !
Then when I feel its none of your business.... even though you asked 4 times.... You proclaim its ridiculous !
If you had an Idea that may have helped or even you proclaiming this is how you do things all well and good.
I posted a very freindly helpful post to the OP. You picked up on a single simple line and started to ask questions.
I started to answer your questions because i thought you had an idea on how to help.
You dont know me or what i do or what i know or how i work or who my clients are ! So Im simply bemused as you can say its ridiculous !
03-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I asked you the simple question, "why do you need such a big JPG files" since you brought it up and make it into a problem so i wonder and thought to show my interest and maybe think about the problem. So that's your answer I ask that question because you brought it up.
Why did i ask that 4 times because you answered those 4 times in such a way like you didn't understand me and hey you know... English isn't my first language and i know i can be confusing sometimes so i though i would put some effort into trying to ask again.
So I feel quite pissed right now that i did that and waste my time on you since you were being so unclear.
I wanted to understand why you need such a large file to look for a solution because maybe there are other ways.

I'm quite sure you understand why i won't go into the rest off what you say because it is just ridiclous what you wrote down and you know that, because i do think you are quite smart.
Anyway it looks like you had a really rough week so cool down a bit this weekend will you... Maybe we will talk afterwards.

Last edited by Anvh; 03-01-2012 at 06:59 PM.
03-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
When correctly converted from raw, the resulting JPEG should definitely be big as well. I usually save jpegs at quality 98 and get between 8 and 14Mb per jpeg depending on level of detail, noise and amount of large monotonous areas in the image.

The 5Mb you noted must be caused by a low-quality setting in whatever raw converter you are using (probably ACR seeing you are using CS4). Regretfully I have never used ACR but all of the raw converters I've used to date, including Pentax's own, Bibble, Rawtherapee, Darktable and UFRaw allow you to set the preferred jpeg quality for saving, usually in the program's preference or options dialogs.
Just tested it with CS5 and i get 10Mb jpgs with with everything to the max but those werent detailed photos (portaits).
Also tested PNG since that one is an often used standard and that gave me 14Mb and PNG is lossless not lossy like JPG.

So 5Mb sounds very wrong...