Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #1

PDCU4 options mostly greyed out

I recently bought a K-5 and just installed the software yesterday. I've been using an old version of Photoshop (7) for years and some smaller utilities like ThumbsPlus and Cam2PC. I transfer my images from a card reader to my HD via Cam2PC since I started using Windows7. It has an auto rotate function taht reads the EXIF data and works very well. Unfortunately I find that any image that has been slightly altered in any of my other software, even just rotation, brands the image so that it is now uneditable in PDCU4. There is no EXIF data and no processing can be applied. Is there a fix for this?

03-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, copy the files from card to hard disk yourself. The Pentax utility should use auto-rotation anyway, so you don't need to worry about that.

Personally, I find the Pentax utility to be too clunky to use. The UI is horrid. You might want to try using Photoshop exclusively, the Adobe Camera Raw plugin that comes with it should handle your raw files, particularly if you're shooting DNG. If you run into trouble with that, you might be able to update ACR without updating Photoshop. I'm not sure which versions are compatible with PS 7, it's very old.
03-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Somewhere in the "View" drop down is a File Filter or whatever they call it. Options in that choice may limit what you can see or do.
03-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #4

Original Poster
wow. seems lame on PDCU4's part. I've been doing this a long time and have found that Cam2PC is an excellent device for moving the files from my card to HD in Win7. Have used it ever since graduating from XP, which had a nice system built in. Cam2PC is FAST. Much better than manually doing it. Why that should make EXIF data invisible in PDCU4 when it is still there in everything else is beyond me. PS7 has worked great for me for years and I like it better than CS. But alas no RAW support. But this isn't even about RAW files. It's just trying to see the effect of certain choices that are available in camera.

03-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Somewhere in the "View" drop down is a File Filter or whatever they call it. Options in that choice may limit what you can see or do.
don't see anything like that in "View" I looked at all the file management Options under "Tools" and nothing seems to apply.