Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Issue importing jpg file to lightroom 3.6

Hello,
I just installed lightroom3, with latest patch to 3.6 version. Imported my photos, about 12.000
At the end I got a report error on some pictures. About 50 .tif that were not imported and 4.jpg
With Bridge I exported to disk the .tif, converting to .jpg, and then these have been imported.
The 4 .jpg I tried to open with PS and resave and also did the same with picasa changing only somethig and saving back. I also tried to change the file names. The 4 files are displayed in Bridge and Picasa and editable and even MS explorer see it, but lightroom always give me error while importing these 4 files.
Any clue what could be?
Maybe it thinks that this are duplicated but I removed the option to eliminate duplicates (I think I did).
Thanks for support
Riccardo

03-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What is the exact error you get from Lightroom?
03-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok, first let me say that my LR is in italian, so I get messages in italian, therefore I translate here.
First of all when I select IMPORT button, the import window opens. I browse to the folder with my 4 jpg (and others which have been imported). About 50 images apear, 46 are grayed out because was already imported last time, then there are 4 grey blocks with "preview not available" (in italian) written across them. I select these 4 anyway, click import, and a pop up opens with the list of the 4 file names and a message that translated is "impossible to read the folllowing files, which have not been imported:"

To tell all the story, the first time I got this error, the file names were (no idea why) in the format IMGPxxxx.DNG.jpg
I tried to remove the jpg suffix and open as DNG but camera raw could not read it. Then I removed the dng suffix and left jpg and I could open with all the sw I have. So I resaved as I said both from PS and from picasa with a new name (without DNG piece) but LR does not want to see them. I suspect that the first time the strange name confused LR which now associate a mistake to these files (maybe LR looks at something different fromt he file name to identify pictures ID). So there must be a way to force LR to forget this code that is associated to a wrong file format. (My idea, after working years with sw).
thx
03-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Since you can open the photos in other software, try to save them as JPEG or TIFF on your local drive with a totally different root name, like "MyPhoto1". Then use LR to import the image and see what happens.

From the description of the errors you are getting it appears that either LR does not like the format or there is already an image with the same name.

If all fails, contact Adobe support.

03-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Did you mistakenly rename DNG files as JPG? Perhaps this is why LR is having problems with this - it's expecting a JPG, but they're in fact DNG?