Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Maynerd Quote
In response to Crewl1:

I installed it yesterday, and other than being a little sluggish at first (it has since sped up considerably) it is a major improvement!

From a Pentax user point of view, the new option to simply click "remove chromatic aberration" in the "Lens Correction" tab gets rid of waaay more (almost all) purple fringing compared to previous versions.

Add to that the fact that you have much finer control of shadow/highlight detail, video editing, and the ability to adjust brightness/contrast on the fly when printing and I would say that adobe has answered my complaints from LR3.

All in all, my pictures just look better coming out of LR4. It's as simple as that.
Does that CA correction require a lens profile? If not I'm game!

03-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
That's the beauty of it! No lens profile required. It is in the "Profile" option, but you don't have to use a profile in order to use the "remove chromatic aberration" checkbox.

03-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

That's the beauty of it! No lens profile required. It is in the "Profile" option, but you don't have to use a profile in order to use the "remove chromatic aberration" checkbox.

I agree, that's the best part about it, no lens profile required. I think the way LR does it, is by splitting image into different colour channels and seeing how out of sync they are, then merging them. It should work for any lens and I can't fault the algorithm so far. I could never get as good of a match with the sliders.
03-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's great news, the PF controls in LR3 were terrible, and never worked but with the slightest of PF. Most of the new LR4 features are worthless to me, as I never leave library or develop modes, but this one could be worth the upgrade.

03-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Have you tried it yet, Jeff? If not, I think you'll be surprised at the detail control you have in the develop module now. It is a surprisingly vast improvement.

One of the big downsides of the upgrade to 4 is, because of the changes in the develop module, most of your develop presets wont work the way they did in 3. They will need to either be updated or (as I have done) discard the ones that are too far gone.
03-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #21
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I tried the lr4 beta but didn't find a huge reason to upgrade from lr3 for my use.
Is there a compelling reason for others to make the switch?
Yup: the ridiculously cheap $79 upgrade price! For that price, I say why not? It's far cheaper than what they charged to upgrade ot LR3 when it first came out. And $149 for the full version? Again, far cheaper than what it used to cost.
03-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
That's great news, the PF controls in LR3 were terrible, and never worked but with the slightest of PF. Most of the new LR4 features are worthless to me, as I never leave library or develop modes, but this one could be worth the upgrade.
PF and CA are slightly different though.
But the automatic PF removal is improved though.

03-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Agreed. Although they are different, most people tend to lump them together, because they affect similar areas in a photo. So I like the fact that they are handled by the same tool. I no longer have to desaturate my purple channel and risk effecting other areas of my image...
03-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Have you tried it yet, Jeff? If not, I think you'll be surprised at the detail control you have in the develop module now. It is a surprisingly vast improvement.

One of the big downsides of the upgrade to 4 is, because of the changes in the develop module, most of your develop presets wont work the way they did in 3. They will need to either be updated or (as I have done) discard the ones that are too far gone.
Don't forget you have a choice of process versions. In the develop presets folder I've created a sub folder called "User Presets 2010" and put all my LR3 presets in it. I'll make PV2012 as and when I need them and put them in the "User Presets" folder
03-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Absolutely Smeggypants, I've done the same, I was just pointing out that you can't use old presets with the new process version (2012). I didn't update any old "developed" pictures to the 2012 process because they would have gone a little "wonky".
03-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the process version tip guys. I'll make a couple groups as well.

Maynard, still haven't tried it yet, too busy with other stuff, but I did read up on it more. The white balance adjustment brush is nice, but I'd love HSL controls on brushes - perhaps in LR 5.
03-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #27
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You may want to hold off ordering it as there is a known bug in LR4 full release. The external editors do not work. Adobe is aware of it, but who knows how long they will get the update done. I can't use Exposure 4 and have to use it in LR3 until this gets fixed.
03-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Hmmm, I've PS, Nik plugins and they all seem to work...
03-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
Hmmm, I've PS, Nik plugins and they all seem to work...
I have the LR 4 demo version -- why would anyone buy it before trying it out, I wonder? -- and the Nik plugins do not work. I do not have Photoshop. Many, many reports of Nik not working - though it seemed to work in the beta.

The refined treatment of highlights and shadows is nice, as is the fact the that adjustment brush has more settings. That said, I will probably hold onto LR 3 until a few more versions come out, and Nik stability is there.
03-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #30
Veteran Member

The only plugin I've used so far is Silver Efex Pro and that seems to work fine in LR4. I've the final version and it also worked for me in the Beta version.
By the way, I'm using a Mac if that makes a difference. The bug could be on windows only...