Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Lightroom disable auto import on catalog

Hi guys,

Whenever I open a Lightroom 3 catalog, upon opening I am greeted immediately with the auto-import dialog. Is there any way to disable this? I've noticed this import dialog open particularly on Lightroom 3 catalogs, although... whenever I open converted Lightroom 2 catalogs (which have been upgraded to LR3) I'm never greeted with the auto import at all. It's driving me insane! I know it sounds a quite trivial, but I'd like to just open my catalog and go straight to browsing my photos without having to close down the cumbersome import box each time. I've tried creating new empty catalogs and pulling in photos... but the same bug seems to trigger off.

I've looked all over the place and I've even disabled the auto-import feature when a memory card is detected in preferences.

I've been using Lightroom 3 for a while now and although I know that version 4 has just been released, I believe the problem still persists in the new version.... is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for your help

doo!

03-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See this thread and perhaps it will offer some clues? Import window always appear when opening catalogues [Archive] - Lightroom Forums

Also, I am new to LR3 and have not really seen a reason to create different catalogs as keywords and standard metadata such as date shot, etc. seem to be sufficient for my use.
Can you explain the advantages of using separate catalogs?

As I understand it LR3 only will display one catalog at a time. I organize my images in windows folders by Year/Month/Camera-Image-Folder prior to importing into LR3.
As I work with the software more I understand the need to have good keywords so I can use the search features.
03-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply crewl, I'll look into it once I get back on my home computer.

I too organise my photos in a year-month-day directory structure and have been doing so for 8 years or so now. I used to have a super catalog containing all my photos (some 70,000) but since LR2, I decided to splice my catalogs by year. I found over time, my super catalog was just getting slower to access so I came up with the idea of making it lighter weight by splitting the catalog down by years. For me, this improved performance noticeably and I've stuck with this ever since... obviously the only drawback is that I can't search every photo like I could have in the super catalog but this doesn't bother my workflow substantially since I only tag people anyway

doo!