Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #16

Protects the quality of photos and videos

lolz

03-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #17
Banned

far too small, and the idea of actually being able to interface with a USB device in 100 years is absurd. great idea in concept, but foolish in practice. make it 5-10 TB in size and give it the ability to connect through a wireless signal as well as a hard line connection and it just may be worth spending money on for a long term storage solution. (say 5-15 years) but anything advertising to be worthwhile for 100 years is just ridiculous. it doesn't matter if it can last that long or not, it just won't be interface compatible by that time. so its quite misleading for less technologically savvy folks.
03-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
far too small, and the idea of actually being able to interface with a USB device in 100 years is absurd. great idea in concept, but foolish in practice. make it 5-10 TB in size and give it the ability to connect through a wireless signal as well as a hard line connection and it just may be worth spending money on for a long term storage solution. (say 5-15 years) but anything advertising to be worthwhile for 100 years is just ridiculous. it doesn't matter if it can last that long or not, it just won't be interface compatible by that time. so its quite misleading for less technologically savvy folks.
Most solid state memory sticks are good for 20 to 50 years. So are CDs or DVDs, which are far less expensive. It is almost certainly the interface that will get you in the end, not the actual storage life. I am not real sure what computers will look like in 20 years but I certainly did not see I-Phones and I-Pads coming 20 years ago. I would be way rich today if I had. And 20 years is a lot less than 100 years. That is a lonnnggggg time. I suspect that USB won't even exist in 20 years and the wireless systems we have today will be way outdated by that time. Digital is changing so fast that the idea of archiving for 100 years isn't even a practical thought right now. Use DVDs for now and then upgrade to the next storage media when it comes along.

Last edited by Pioneer; 03-10-2012 at 11:48 AM.
03-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
yes, but what good is a guarantee on items which can not be replaced? If your memory vault happens to have a fault after 10 years...they can't replace the photos. They might give you your $90 back, but that wouldn't be the same. I guess what I'm getting at is thatI would still want to have a backup of them on some other device.
Exactly! My WD hard drives were both guaranteed for 3 years, but all that meant was they were replaced when they went bad. As for the data they contained, I was on my own. Thank God for Carbonite!

I would be more interested in this if it was portable and could be used with the SD cards from my camera as back up.

03-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I certainly did not see I-Phones and I-Pads coming 20 years ago
Alan C. Kay did in 1972 A Personal Computer for Children of All Ages. Alan Kay 1972 - mprove.de

QuoteQuote:
This note speculates about the emergence of personal, portable information manipulators and their effects when used by both children and adults. Although it should be read as science fiction, current trends in miniaturization and price reduction almost guarantee that many of the notions discussed will actually happen in the near future.
Since 1989 you can also buy palmtops.
Atari Portfolio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
03-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Very interesting reads. Thanks for sharing!
03-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Thanks for the great information on the Atari.

Certainly a bit off topic for a camera post but I owned a couple Psion 3c and a Psion 5. I still have a couple of HP Jornada 720 palmtop computers that are quite similar to the Atari unit that I still use on a regular basis as a note taker for my medium and large format image making. They were, and for certain applications are, great little devices. I have also worked with tablets in one form or another since the mid-90s until my handwriting went completely to pot. They are all terrific little pieces of gear, even today.

03-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote

I had to get data off a floppy disk a few months back and finding a machine with a (working) floppy drive was no small feat.
I just did that for a member of my Mac Users Group last week. There will always be geeks like me who have ancient equipment around.
03-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Just proof how good apple is with marketing something old as new, almost the same happened with MP3 players
The read about the dynabook is very interesting, it touches the idea about the tablet we have today on several fronts, even the device look the same. Just pretend that the mechanical keyboard is a thouchscreen and you're there.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I just did that for a member of my Mac Users Group last week. There will always be geeks like me who have ancient equipment around.
I still have a 5.25-inch reader at home, aint sure if it will fit on my current motherboard though...
I do have a 3 1⁄2-inch installed in my current pc though, quite funny to see the gap since it also has a blu-ray and HD-DVD burner installed.
03-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
In 100 years from now, a gadget of some kind will be available to scan any storage device, whatever the format !

JP
03-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Why is it being assumed that USB won't be around in 100 years? It is already coming up on 20. Media for storage most definitely will take different shapes, forms and capacities, but the interface itself has become extremely universal across just about every device out there. It is compact and accommodating. I just don't see it disappearing; wireless transfer capabilities are certainly growing, but there will always be some form of need for a physical interface. If there is any point where I'm potentially wrong, being completely un-wired would be the only scenario under which the USB interface would see its demise - there is just no reason for it to be replaced, it works.
03-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Why is it being assumed that USB won't be around in 100 years? It is already coming up on 20. Media for storage most definitely will take different shapes, forms and capacities, but the interface itself has become extremely universal across just about every device out there. It is compact and accommodating. I just don't see it disappearing; wireless transfer capabilities are certainly growing, but there will always be some form of need for a physical interface. If there is any point where I'm potentially wrong, being completely un-wired would be the only scenario under which the USB interface would see its demise - there is just no reason for it to be replaced, it works.
RS-232 has been around since the 1960s, but when was the last time you saw a device that used it? Or a PC with a RS-232 port?
03-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #28

Surely if usb isnt in fashion 100 from now, we will be able to get an usb to neural adapter from China for $3.99 with free shipping.
03-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
RS-232 has been around since the 1960s, but when was the last time you saw a device that used it? Or a PC with a RS-232 port?
That doesn't seem to be a relevant argument since an RS-232 connection isn't and never was a part of 99% (random number obviously, but probably not far off) of every single modern-day individual's life. If you own a phone, a camera, a dvd/home theatre/tv, a computer, or any number of countless electronic devices, you've been in contact with a usb port today.

I would argue it to be as ubiquitous as the car to be honest. USB is a practical, compact means to just about every electronic end.
03-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #30
Veteran Member

USB killed RS-232 serial and Centronics parallel interfaces. Firewire didn't kill USB but that doesn't mean a better interface won't be built. In fact, *expect* a different interface to handle much higher data rates, maybe an optical-thread on a 1mm plug+jack.