Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #16
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can't install the software without an original CD to verify legitimate use, although there is a trick that sometimes works for getting around it by burning the software onto CD or a thumb drive, and naming that CD or drive the same as the original software (S-SW110 for my K-5). I had success with this trick on one computer but not one a second where I had legitimately installed an earlier version of the Pentax DCU prior to my CD being destroyed by my kids.

I'm currently playing with FastStone Image Viewer and PhotoScape which both seem to run quickly. Not sure what resources they require though.

Last edited by MSL; 03-15-2012 at 03:52 PM.
03-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Corel Pro X is prob about the best photoshop Ive ever seen for the money.
Im not 100% certain that it will reconise the RAW files though.
Ive a funny feeling it will do though. Its certainly worth checking out.
I use CS4 for my RAW and capture NX2 for my JPGS.
03-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RioRico,

For my basic workflow I use Faststone Image Viewer (reads .pef files). If I need to make any more than minor adjustments, I use the Pentax software. Both should run fine on your old laptop.

-Joe-

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I usually use the Silkypix / PentaxPhotoLab3 RAW developer. That's on my working machine... at my other home, 1000 miles away. My travel machine is an ancient mini-laptop running WinXP with a 1GHz Pentium and 500MB of RAM, and it currently lacks a RAW developer. I really don't want to just stockpile RAW files from my K20D for the next month or three. I tried installing RawTherapee but it wants 2GB of RAM minimum. So, my question:

What's a free WinDoze RAW developer that isn't a resource hog?
03-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
For my basic workflow I use Faststone Image Viewer (reads .pef files). If I need to make any more than minor adjustments, I use the Pentax software. Both should run fine on your old laptop.
Many thanks! I'll try that during my next free-download period here. [I have a bandwidth cap from noon-midnight local time, unlimited downloads from midnight-noon. Ah, cheap ISPs...]

03-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #20
Pentaxian

My raw converter is SilkyPix Developer 4. The Developer version is the only Silkpix version that has the Dodging control, which I find indispensable. The funny thing is that dodging is also included in the SilkyPix-engined DCU4, but not PPL3.

If layers or further processing is required,I export, as 16-bit TIFF, from SP4 to PaintShop Pro. I used to use PSP X, but recently changed to PSP X4 and have found it stable (an important consideration with PSP upgrades - I'm running Win XP - I believe Win7 users are not as fortunate), and a worthwhile upgrade. (My PSP scripts work under PSP X4.) PSP X4 was quite cheap as a download from Amazon. (I live in Australia and the local price is too high.)

I only have two plugins that I regularly use in PSP (can also be used in PhotoShop & Paint.NET): Focus Magic and Topaz Lab's Remask 3.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 03-17-2012 at 03:11 PM.
03-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Anvh and k0og, thanks for the suggestions, and here are my reactions:

* UFRaw (which requires GIMP2, easily included) seems a bit sluggish. But I'll blame my slow machine. And UFRaw works, and has a decent feature set, so I'll limp|gimp along with it.
* RAWHide only outputs (huge) TIFF files, so I didn't bother downloading it.
* Neither WinDoze version of dcraw would install on my machine, I don't know why.
* Stepok's RAW Importer doesn't seem to support PEF files, so I didn't download it.
* Faststone Image Viewer seems a nice viewer but has much smaller feature set than UFRaw. For equivalent functions, it seems no faster than UFRaw. I'll keep it as a Just-In-Case tool.

Thanks again, and I'm back in action. Meaning that I'll be hunched over the keyboard developing RAW files rather than playing mandolin, walking around, sleeping, etc. Life is good?