Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks emalvick and all others too, it is clear now that it is best for me to start out with Lightroom. If it turns out I need or want more, then go for Elements or CS (or experiment with others)...
I just started to notice that it is actually quite fun to do some basic enhancement. It gives a lot of satisfaction to dig a bit into the pixels to find out what you've actually shot and the results of manipulation. I've even got the feeling it will influence the shooting itself eventually...

03-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Little update: over the weekend I played a bit with trial versions of Lightroom 4 and Elements 10.
If I would have to choose with my current knowledge I would go for Elements 10, it's just a matter of layout and the way Lightroom tried to import my photo library was a bit awkward. Moreover, Lightroom seemed a rather bit slower to performe than Elements.
Finally I ran back to my 'trusted' Picasa 3 when I needed things done within a sound amount of time. This is just knowing your way around but in this case I just couldn't manage the job in Elements without the online help every 2 minutes and even then...
03-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Good luck with discovering the subtleties of all these fine pieces of software! Don't give up... You'll be rewarded!
And most important... have fun!
03-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #19
Veteran Member

A major difference between Lightroom and Photoshop CS is layers. Only CS supports layers which are sometimes needed for advanced editing tasks. I have both, but I mainly use Lightroom. I'm not sure if Elements has layer editing, but it is much closer to CS than Lightroom from a user interface and workflow point-of-view.

If I had to pick only one software, it would be Lightroom. I rarely go into CS anymore. I've heard mostly good things about Elements, but I've never used it. In fact I have an unused copy of Elements 9 that came with an Epson scanner, never installed.

03-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Lightroom is the anchor to my post processing and organizing. But I still use Elements 8 from time to time, especially when it comes to cloning out dust spots and other things.
I also use Gimp for channel swaps and other features. It really depends on what one wants to do with a given image.
And when it comes to layers, I have tested the OnOne Layers program. Not bad but a little slow and clumsy with my current computer package. But it does the job.
I simply don't have the coin to go the CS route and from what I have seen it would be well above my current requirements.
03-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #21
Veteran Member

With lightroom 4 they have expanded the selective brush options, that does replace some layer actions. Also some adjustments seem to be able to be pushed a bit further, which good as well.
03-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I'm not sure if Elements has layer editing, but it is much closer to CS than Lightroom from a user interface and workflow point-of-view.
Elements 9 and 10 have layer masks, where you can erase or modify portions of a layer, if that is what you mean by editing.

03-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Elements 9 and 10 have layer masks, where you can erase or modify portions of a layer, if that is what you mean by editing.
Thats more called masking.
What about blending modes for layers?
That would be really cool if PSE had those
03-21-2012, 02:11 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
A simple conclusion from the above is that before I can add any useful comments (except for my preference for interface etc.) is that I need to do some photo editing course. Just need some live experience instead of trying to invent the wheel for myself. To explain, it is quite cumbersome to figure out what every icon and tool does and to properly apply them. It's like learning to fly by being locked up in a cockpit with just a manual of the plane.
03-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use LR3 with NIK Viveza2 for local changes and LRenfuse for photographic-looking HDR. Here's what that combination can produce: Flickr: civiletti's Photostream
03-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
Really awesome landscapes! They remind me a lot of my geology field practica in central and southern Spain; Miocene marls, Buntsantstein etc. Perhaps a hint of localization would be nice
03-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Twarp Quote
Really awesome landscapes! They remind me a lot of my geology field practica in central and southern Spain; Miocene marls, Buntsantstein etc. Perhaps a hint of localization would be nice
Thanks. The most recent uploads [red rock] are Valley of Fire State Park NE of Los Vegas. I've been too busy shooting and processing to add descriptions. We stopped there on the way from Zion Natl Park to Death Valley.