Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
What you do you think if I just start out with LR 3, use it for a while until "mastered", then jump over to LR 4 (assuming that I do receive it someday)?
Bonjour John,

most of LR4 is just like LR3 with one important caveat though: The process version has changed which is reflected by a change of sliders and how they work in the so called "basic panel" in the development module.

If you get used to how the LR3 basic panel behaves, you will have to relearn a lot for the LR4 basic panel. Of course you could continue to use the old process version (PV 2010) in LR3 which would provide you with the same LR3 sliders and behaviour, but you'd then forgo the allegedly better LR4 image quality and some new options for the adjustment brush.

For everything except the basic panel in the development model, you can go ahead and learn with LR3. If you plan to use the new LR4 basic panel (I have not made up my mind yet, it didn't work great on some images I tried but probably I need to do more relearning before I can pass a final judgement) then just don't get too attached to how the LR3 basic panel works.

Hope that helps.

Salut,

Class A

03-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Cool, this applies to me as I missed the $69 price by a week! Will have to do this when I get back home
03-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
LR4 delivered today! It worked!
03-30-2012, 03:17 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Anyone using LR4, make sure to download the LR 4.1 RC (RC = release candidate). It fixes many problems existing in LR 4.0 and seems to provide a better experience for many users.

03-31-2012, 12:06 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the info jeanpascalc - I got my LR4 free upgrade today also.
03-31-2012, 12:43 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Merci encore et encore ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Bonjour John,

most of LR4 is just like LR3 with one important caveat though: The process version has changed which is reflected by a change of sliders and how they work in the so called "basic panel" in the development module.

If you get used to how the LR3 basic panel behaves, you will have to relearn a lot for the LR4 basic panel. Of course you could continue to use the old process version (PV 2010) in LR3 which would provide you with the same LR3 sliders and behaviour, but you'd then forgo the allegedly better LR4 image quality and some new options for the adjustment brush.

For everything except the basic panel in the development model, you can go ahead and learn with LR3. If you plan to use the new LR4 basic panel (I have not made up my mind yet, it didn't work great on some images I tried but probably I need to do more relearning before I can pass a final judgement) then just don't get too attached to how the LR3 basic panel works.

Hope that helps.

Salut,

Class A
Bonjour Class A,

Thanks again for your advice ... still have not received LR4 ... hopefully it's in the mail and will be arriving in the next few days. Also, I have started to drive into my French language LR book and there's a lot to get my (small) head around ... on verra ça plus tard!

Salut et bonne journée, John le Green Grenouille - qui est bien perdu dans ses logiciels ...
04-24-2012, 04:33 AM   #22
Pentaxian

FYI ... LR 4 Update arrived

Bonjour,

Well, it arrived from Germany today ... so, I finally received the upgrade to LR 4 !

Thanks again to all for this info and for their advice to me ... MERCI !

Salut, John le Frog

04-24-2012, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Thanks again to all for this info and for their advice to me ... MERCI !
De rien.

Make sure to download the LR 4.1 release candidate. It will work with your 4.0 serial number. It fixes many serious bugs in LR 4.0.
04-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Make sure to download the LR 4.1 release candidate. It will work with your 4.0 serial number. It fixes many serious bugs in LR 4.0.
Thanks - was hesitant to install the LR4 due to all the bad reports. Appreciate the link.
04-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've used LR4 for a week already and I've not had any issues with my LR3 catalogues. I will not download LR 4.1 RC because I can't use my Wacom tablet, which is indispensable to me. LR4 certainly shows definite improvements over LR3.
05-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #26
Forum Member

I bought LR3 during the Adorama sale ($79.99) and did get the free upgrade to LR4 from Adobe. It took about 10 days from when I first contacted them to receipt of the disk. It probably would have been faster if I had taken the download option, but I'm a little old fashioned, I prefer to have a physical disk.

This is my first go-around with LR and since I knew I was going to get LR4 early on I did not create any LR3 galleries. I'm still trying to find my way around the program and haven't figured out how to edit at all yet. I guess I should RTFM and watch some tutorials.