Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Note that with e.g. photoshop, you have many many ways to affect the b&w conversion: apart from channel mixer or the b&w conversion tool, and applying the 'photo filter', you can also play with color/tint shifts and color curves under the b&w conversion. In effect the pre-packaged film emulators do all of these to try to match the spectral sensitivity of film + add 'typical' grain.

E.g. to try to emulate Tri-X I often shift greens under the B&W conversion.

03-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

What I've found with my K20 is that RAW files shot in black and white mode carry EXIF data that some software uses to correctly display those images in black and white. For example, the Pentax Photo Lab utility does this. My image management software, IMatch, also has this capability.

You can open a black and white RAW file in Pentax Photo Lab, make adjustments,choose a different black and white filter effect if you wish, and save the file as an RGB TIFF that looks grayscale. I'm not crazy about Photo Lab so rarely use this function.

I find it helpful to shoot in black and white mode because it serves as a reference for post processing, using the images displayed in black and white in my image management software as a guide. It also helps me visualize black and white results as I'm shooting. My actual processing is done by opening the RAW files in Photoshop and converting using Channel Mixer.

John

Last edited by John Poirier; 03-21-2012 at 01:50 PM.
03-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As Marc writes, post processing offers much more creative control over B&W than does an in-camera conversion. All that color info can be useful in adjusting tonality. Here's a color image and B&W conversion done in LightRoom:

I also used Viveza 2 to increase local contast in the B&W.

Last edited by civiletti; 03-21-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: added info
03-22-2012, 12:17 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
As Marc writes, post processing offers much more creative control over B&W than does an in-camera conversion. All that color info can be useful in adjusting tonality. Here's a color image and B&W conversion done in LightRoom:

I also used Viveza 2 to increase local contast in the B&W.
Nice. A big warm thankyou to all whom have givin advice, I shall take it in and see if I can do better with BW.

Cheers
Shane

03-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #20
Veteran Member

The latest Lightroom 4 has decent B/W conversion and I just downloaded the trial for Nik Silver Efex Pro, which is a dedicated B/W processing software. It is much more capable than LR4, but it unfortunately costs more than LR, with the recent LR4 50% price drop compared to LR3. I will probably stick with LR when my trial expires. I hope Nik will reconsider their pricing now that LR is half the original price.