Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2008, 07:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

Good free redeye reduction software?

Can anyone recommend any freeware that does a good job at eliminating or reducing redeye?

I've been using Picasa for editing and the redeye fix doesn't work too well. I then tried Preclick Gold. That works great but I just noticed that once I use it the file size is compressed to about half. To my eye I can't notice it but I don't want to use a program that does that.

01-08-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depending on the photo, Picassa seems to work OK for me. I learned to expand the marque well beyond the pupil of the eye; and you may have to repeat the process.
01-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
You're right. Sometimes it works fine but others it just doesn't cover up everything. Preclick works great (other than the compression). Just touch the red with the pencil and it's done.
01-09-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The best ive used was the free software that came with my canon ixus a while back. I've long since deleted it as i dont have the cam anymore but if you check on the canon site im pretty sure its a free download.

01-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The GIMP?

- Bert
01-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
The best ive used was the free software that came with my canon ixus a while back. I've long since deleted it as i dont have the cam anymore but if you check on the canon site im pretty sure its a free download.
Thanks. I have 2 Canon cameras and the software is still in the box.

I heard of GIMP but never looked into it further.

Something was amiss on my PC the other night when I noticed the drastic compression becuase now the file sizes are now the same after removing the redeye. I freaked out for nothing.

Thanks for your help.