Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2012, 04:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
CS6 Beta available for download

Good overview with video links about new feature:
Adobe Photoshop CS6 Beta now available for download | Photo Rumors

Actual download page:
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/photoshopcs6.html

03-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
Moderator
Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising PentaxForums and watching your back.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,407
So did you download it? I got it through another website I frequent and am downloading now. Some months back I got a mail from Adobe offering me CS5 for $299 and at that time I wondered were they getting ready to announce a new version. Guess my wondering was right, eh.
03-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
I'm at work and have not downloaded it yet. Just thought it would be good to let folks know its available. I got CS5 through an educational discount about 20 months ago for cheap-cheap. I might try CS6 Beta to see if its better enough to warrant spending money to upgrade.
03-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 281
Free, 27-Part Video Preview of CS6

Most previous upgrades of Adobe Photoshop have been so minimal as to be not worth the bother. Photoshop CS6, on the other hand, appears to be a very worthwhile upgrade (in spite of its typically ridiculous price tag).

Here is just one comment from Gizmodo.com:
"The new RAW 7 import is really awesome—so incredibly good that I can see photographers reimporting old RAW material to get the new amazing results. Adobe claims they used 'a new tone-mapping algorithm' and there's something definitely different there, because the treatment of Highlights, Shadows, and Whites just blows my mind. It almost seem like black magic."
Free Videos
Maybe most useful and interesting of all, lynda.com provides us with a free video series entitled Photoshop CS6 Beta Preview. It consists of 27 short videos highlighting most or all of the features.

P.S. You will just have to grit your teeth and learn to live with the fact that the video host utters the phrase, "I'm gonna go ahead and..." about 20 or 30 times per video. Aside from that, he has a pleasant and well spoken style.

03-24-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member
cbope's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 664
QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
Most previous upgrades of Adobe Photoshop have been so minimal as to be not worth the bother. Photoshop CS6, on the other hand, appears to be a very worthwhile upgrade (in spite of its typically ridiculous price tag).

Here is just one comment from Gizmodo.com:
"The new RAW 7 import is really awesome—so incredibly good that I can see photographers reimporting old RAW material to get the new amazing results. Adobe claims they used 'a new tone-mapping algorithm' and there's something definitely different there, because the treatment of Highlights, Shadows, and Whites just blows my mind. It almost seem like black magic."
Free Videos
Maybe most useful and interesting of all, lynda.com provides us with a free video series entitled Photoshop CS6 Beta Preview. It consists of 27 short videos highlighting most or all of the features.

P.S. You will just have to grit your teeth and learn to live with the fact that the video host utters the phrase, "I'm gonna go ahead and..." about 20 or 30 times per video. Aside from that, he has a pleasant and well spoken style.
Is this the same ACR included in the new LR4, or a newer version? I tried to find out what version of ACR is in LR4 but did not locate the version number.
03-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Is this the same ACR included in the new LR4, or a newer version? I tried to find out what version of ACR is in LR4 but did not locate the version number.
ACR 7 just like in lightroom 4

how i know...
Help > about
03-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 281
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Is this the same ACR included in the new LR4, or a newer version? I tried to find out what version of ACR is in LR4 but did not locate the version number.
I honestly don't know. I wish I did. It would be nice if it is the same ACR, because PS6 is insanely overpriced, while LR4 isn't too expensive.
03-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member
cbope's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 664
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
ACR 7 just like in lightroom 4

how i know...
Help > about
Correct, it is 7.0, I completely missed that.

03-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 281
I don't own either product, so I wasn't able to check.

P.S. It's strange that Anvh's reply is now ahead of mine, because it wasn't there when I first replied to cbope. Hmmm. Interesting.
03-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
P.S. It's strange that Anvh's reply is now ahead of mine, because it wasn't there when I first replied to cbope. Hmmm. Interesting.
You replied 2 minutes after me so most likely you had the page open when i replied.

I'm using both since lightroom was out and must say they work quite well together.
I let lightroom manage my files and do there the basic RAW edits for the serious stuff i let lightroom export the file to photoshop, it's all integrated into each other.
03-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 281
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
You replied 2 minutes after me so most likely you had the page open when i replied.
Yep. That makes sense. I should have thought of that. My brain must be starting to atrophy.

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I'm using both since lightroom was out and must say they work quite well together.
The way Photoshop CS6 is priced (and CS5, etc.), I will have to stick with my ancient version -- that is until about 2022, when I get a used Mac with CS6 already installed on it.
03-25-2012, 04:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
I've a student version, that saves quite a bit =]
03-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 281
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I've a student version, that saves quite a bit =]
Yes, so does the educator version, but even that is pretty expensive compared to the competition. I used to work in a school as the computer network administrator. At times like this I wish I still did.

By the way, it just occurred to me that I should ask if the ACR 7 user interface is the same in Photoshop CS6 as it is in Lightroom 4. As an interface fanatic, that's what is most important to me. Did you click on the Gizmodo link and watch the author's short "RAW Import" video? That is a wonderfully simple interface in the CS6 version. It is very reminiscent of the wonderfully simple interface in iPhoto 09.

Last edited by Welfl; 03-25-2012 at 08:49 AM.
03-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
From what i see from that video the interface hasn't changed since CS.
Lightroom has the same options and arrangement of the tools only it doesn't have the separate tabs, but as a bonus it keeps track of the history.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
beta, cs6, download, photography, photoshop
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lightroom 4 beta available Class A Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 27 01-27-2012 02:59 PM
download files Jool Pentax K-5 2 08-19-2011 12:42 AM
Lets try some ISO6400 with LR3 Beta... JohnBee Pentax DSLR Discussion 26 04-20-2010 05:17 PM
I've been Beta testing a FF DSLR little laker Pentax News and Rumors 25 04-08-2010 11:02 PM
A Warning For Beta Testers graphicgr8s Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 14 03-29-2010 06:44 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:24 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top