Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
CS5 bridge Merge To HDR Pro smart object option?

Is there a way to save an hdr merge in bridge to PS as a smart object so I can still edit in camera raw after the merge?

03-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You can't as far as i know and it would take a lot of computing power if it could.
I actually fail to see the benefit to be honest.
03-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
if i was doing a composite and the lighting didn't jive from one image to the next, i would be able to use camera raw to easily adjust/tweak the hdr image.
03-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Why can't you make that correction before you send it to the HDR program?
Also when you adapt one image it changes everything so you need to go through the process anyway to tweak it again.

03-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
if i'm merging 7-9 exposures, the last thing i want to do is process 7-9 images separately. i'd prefer to merge the pics and make minor changes to just 1, if i decide it needs an adjustment at a later point.

the hdr smart object would allow me to make changes to just 1 image (the hdr merge) and not affect all the layers of that composite. its the entire point of a smart object.
03-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

But if you change 1 photo then you also change the way it blends with the other photos so you need to go through that process again, there is no way around that.

And how come you need to edit 1 photo and not the rest, what are you trying to edit?
There might be a way around it.
03-27-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster

the background of this image is an hdr merge with 5-7 exposures. the subject was done at a separate location. the subject was brought in through camera raw and converted as a smart object. when i want to edit him (prior to the merge for composite), all i have to do is double click the icon and i can make whatever simple adjustments that i want in camera raw that will only effect him

however, once i merge all of the images for the bg (prior to the composite), i cannot access camera raw to make minor adjustments b/c i can't save this hdr merge as a smart object. the only way to do it is to save the file as a jpeg and re-open the image as a smart object.

Last edited by Deiberson; 03-27-2012 at 06:20 AM.
03-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I now understand your story differently.
You want the "total" HDR as a smart object, i thought you want to edit 1 of the 5-7 photos of the HDR separately.
So you want the HDR layer as a smart object and the Person as a smart object, this can be done.
Simply right click on the layer name and click on "convert to smartobject" not sure if you can do that with the background layer so you might need to first duplicate it.
If you do an edit though you need to save the smart-object first, that's the way it works.
You can btw set layer adjustments to only effect the layer right beneath it sop maybe you can get away that way by not using any smart-objects at all.
03-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
maybe i needed to first duplicate the layer. perhaps that's why it wasn't an option for me.